Chapter 14: The Key to the Past

The air was still and chilled, easily giving me goosebumps.

There was no one else around, but I could feel the ominous presence of something watching me. "Hello?.." I called out while walking around.

Then suddenly, hazed memories of my past came before me like an enormous third dimensial hologram, and I fell backwards with tears threatening to fall. The air around me had become freezing cold and I could hear the haunting sound of a hummed lullaby. It sounded sweet and somewhat calming until the images faded away, leaving behind an agonizing scream. I tried to drown out the scream by covering my ears, but it wasn’t enough.

The scream became louder through echoes and my head was starting to throb from it all. My head was hurting me entirely too much, and I harshly closed my eyes to try and drown it out but it was impossible.

It’s as if I was thrown into the depths of my own mind.

The sounds around me started to drone out into a windy whisper and I flinched at the feeling of something creeping up my leg. Black mist was creeping upward from my feet, engulfing my legs and I frantically tried to clear it away but it was too thick. 'I feel helpless in this place..'

It crept up my thighs and I yelped as the darkness continued to devour me, until it reached my chest. 'Shimatta..'

I thought for sure I was going to be consumed, until a hissing sound like the ocean’s waves echoed all around and pulled the black mist back into the depths of oblivion.

Everything went calm for a second and I exhaled in relief- suddenly causing a torrential wind to expel itself from my mouth. Spiraling wind whirled all around me until it gradually formed into the face of a raging dragon that grew larger by the second.

My eyes widened as its mouth turned into a gravitational vortex, pulling in blue chakra from all around the darkness. 

'Sugoi..' I watched in amazement as the chakra spun into a ball of blue flames and I shut one eye as the majestic beast puffed it towards me.

...It was silent.

Seconds passed by without anything happening, and I hesitantly opened my eyes to see the ethereal blue flames glowing radiantly around me, as if it were taking possession of my body. 

I waved my hand at it, but it only mirrored my movements and I blinked in confusion. “Kore wa...“

I inhaled cautiously and coughed as hard as I could while gripping my throat as it flew into my mouth and filled my lungs. 'This feels so strange, but.. it doesn't hurt...' I relaxed and noticed that it was still surrounding me, harmlessly.

Everything was finally peaceful, when the ground beneath my feet was starting to tremble. 'What next?'

My head throbbed once and I flinched as a colossal red gate broke out from the floor with a golden lock, spiraling to a close in the center. My chakra, the Wind Dragon, the dark mist and a haze of blurry memories were now locked behind it.

I couldn’t help but stare wide eyed in awe at it all, until a pulsating form of Mangekyou Sharingan broke out from the gate causing my body to ache in pain. I had little energy left in me and I panted for breath, feeling a burning sensation in my skull so strong, it brought me to my knees. 'I don't want to be here any longer.. This has to stop..'

“If anyone can hear me…" I whispered, before yelling frustratedly. "Anyone~!"

No one responded, and I let my eyes take in the enormous gate before me. ‘Is it locking me in here?.. No. It’s imprisoning everything behind it… But why?’