Chapter 2: Without A Trace

As I zipped through the streets without a care, car horns blared around me. I always had a heavy foot and an even heavier one when I was pissed. Nothing new.

Though I didn’t really make my father’s reputation any better since he was the chief of police here in Konoha.

After speeding past the gate guard who looked as though he was going to yell at me, I headed straight for my house. It was situated atop a bit of a hill. So when I pulled into the breezeway, I gave the pedal a bit more gas which revved the engine, which let everyone and anyone know that I was home. ‘Sigh.’

My mother’s car however, was a pink corvette. I gagged every time I saw the damn thing. I mean who gets a pink corvette anyway? That should be a sin.

After grabbing my belongings out of my car, I pushed past the door to see my little brother running around naked and screaming random things. ‘Hn.. How cute.’

“Aw come on, Kato put some clothes on for crying out loud!” I sighed and stood there with my hand on my hip like a demanding mother, but when he gave me that adorable pouty look, I caved in and bent down to tickle his sides.

“Oh who am I kidding. Run around in the nude, little rebel.” I smirked as he laughed and begged me to stop. As soon as I let him go, he was off again; running around the house like a train with no brakes.

“Oi! You better calm down in a few minutes though, is that understood?!” I yelled back before shaking my head and heading for the stairs. Someone had to take the responsibility and  act like his mother, and that someone was me.

Besides… I loved my little brother very much.

“Jasselle! What are you doing home so early? And what is Kato doing in the nude?!!” A woman who appeared as though she was fighting old age with heavy makeup, questioned as she walked down the stairs followed by our maid, Clarise.

Clarise looked startled but shooed the little boy into his room and shut the door as she followed behind him. I watched closely, and completely forgot that my ‘mother’ was standing before me.

“Jasselle?”

“Hm?” I snapped back to my senses and looked to the woman who seemed slightly upset.

“I asked you a question!” she snapped.

“I’m not early. I always get off from school around 1- nothing has changed.” I pushed past her and went over to the pantry to grab a snack.

“Hmph… Well I’m off to the mall darling. Be back, whenever.” she put her designer shades on and took her keys from the hook beside the door.

“Goodbye, Janet~” I took a ginger cookie from out of a container and closed it shut before going upstairs without giving her a single glance.

I pushed through my room door and plopped onto the many pillows that covered my bed with a sigh. It felt so good to be in my bed, in my room, all alone.

“Peace and quiet...” I hugged a pillow close before sitting up with a huff and pushing all of the other pillows onto the floor. And as I sat there with the breeze howling through my window, I watched the white drapes dance with the air around them. Then I looked over to the necklace closet on my dresser and stared at it… my mother’s necklace was inside of it. I used to wear it when I was younger, but… now it just stayed hanging there. It was one of the most beautiful pieces of jewelry I had ever seen.

‘Oh, get a grip. Mother isn’t here and she isn’t coming back.’

The corners of my eyes began to get moist and I got up to go into my closet. I needed some fresh air, and something to distract me from my own thoughts. Hurriedly, I put on a hoodie and some sweatpants before closing my door as I left out into the hallway.