Chapter 11-2: Remnant of the Past

Several years later, after that night...

Every day she would arrive far too early for even half of the teachers to be in the petite, private school. But her teacher, Mr. Hunter never minded her presence as he would always be there as soon as the academy opened.

Though one day, she showed up with her backpack dragging behind her and tears in her eyes. It was the only and first time he had inquired about her life beyond school since teachers were forbidden to interfere. The girl gave him nothing but silence in response to all of his questions as she seemed too confused herself to even answer them. And since then, he silently welcomed her into the classroom each morning and went about his preparations for the day as she sat in her sea like a wilted flower... lost in her own little world.

However, today was very unusual. When the girl had showed up to class, it was only less than an hour before the bell, and her appearance showed an obvious attempt of looking nice. Her gray eyes seemed to shine in the light and her long hair was neatly pulled back into a high ponytail. She wore a yellow dress that was ruffled at her small shoulders and white sandals adorned her feet. There was something in the air about her today that seemed rather bright. And as she sat down, she met eyes with Mr. Hunter who was staring at her questionably.

Mr. Hunter was a young man with a well-built but gentle, tall body. He wore glasses that framed his face perfectly and even complimented his blue eyes. His short orange looking hair was always spiked messily and gave him the appearance of a witty yet handsome young teacher. His eyes studied her for a second and he hesitated on his thoughts before he spoke.

"Um, lady Hayate, if you don't mind-- oh and goodmorning..!" he said cheerfully waiting for a possible response. She tilted her head at his greeting and he sighed.

"Well, if you don't mind me asking.. you are unusually... luminous today, should I say. Why?"

The girl shyly looked away and bit her lip, squirming in her seat with uncertainty. Mr. Hunter knew this was a lame attempt to gain some sort of answer from the silent girl, but maybe.. there was hope.

"Mhmmhm~!"

The sound of a giggle escaping her lips enlightened him and he walked by her desk to provoke more out of her. He kneeled down by her side and laid his hand gently on her desk before her as if she were a rare specimen never to be seen by the human eye.

"Yes? What is it??? A-Are you happy?" He suggested as she glanced around with a tiny smile growing on her lips. She laughed once more and kicked her legs playfully under her desk, exciting the teacher further.

"Oh this is wonderful..." he said under his breath as he smiled at the thought of her finally opening up.

"Is it something at home?? Are you excited?..." Random thoughts went through his mind and he came upon one large possibility that made him frown.

"Do you.. Do you need to use the restroom??"

A louder laugh than before, echoed from the girl and he laughed with her. Thinking the thought to be silly, she violently shook her head, flailing her legs with excitement and finally made eye contact with him.

"Little brother!!" she shouted much to his surprise. The thought simmered in his mind and he glanced away before looking at her with slight seriousness.

"Your mother... gave birth to a child?"

"Mm!.. Kato!" she exclaimed full of unparalleled happiness. Mr. Hunter frowned deeply and walked over to his desk, full of files.