Chapter 5: An Unusual Night

“Hush little baby don’t say a word.. mama’s gona buy you a mocking bird… “

… “And if that mockingbird ceases to sing, mama’s gonna buy you a diamond ring~“

“But don’t diamonds cost lots of money okaasan???”

       “Yes they do sweetheart. But that doesn’t matter to mommy.. Mhmm, would you like to know why??”

“Tell me, tell me!!”

       “Alright~ but only if you come real close. It’s a secret! …Are you ready for it??”

“Haii!! Tell me please~”

          “Shhh… Listen… “

….. “You my darling, are priceless. No amount of money or anything in this world could ever add up to what you mean to me. You Jasselle, are my world.”

“Reallyy~???”

               “Of course.…. Oh... I love you so much, and don’t ever forget that…. So much.. “

“Why are you crying mommy??”

                 “…Promise me something, sweetheart.”

“…N..Nani?“

              “Promise me that you’ll always be strong. Grow up to be the beautiful lady that I know you’ll turn out to be..."

“Hai.. But why do you seem sad? ..Are you leaving me?? Don’t leave me mommy, I don’t want you to go. Daddy’s so mean to me!”

        “Shhhh, wakatta... I’m right here... I’ve got you… And I’ll.. protect you for as long as I c-can.….“

“No.. Don’t go….. Please~“

            “Shhh… Daishobu.. “

“No…. No please.. “

    "Ai... Aishi..teru.... “

“No… No! Okaasan!!” I sat up, yelling with beads of sweat tingling my face.

'It was a dream?..' I panted and looked around the room from my position on the floor. 'I must have passed out when I got back..'

As I rubbed my aching eyes and stretched in the sunlight, I quickly tensed up in pain as my side began to burn. 'Right.. I'm still hurt.'

“..What time is it??“ I thought outloud as I looked towards the alarm clock sittingon my night stand.

The cold floor moved beneath my palms as I scoured for the damn thing that could tell me the time of day. Wait.. I think I found it. Apparently it rolled underneath my dresser…

'8:30pm?!?!' 

"Chikashou! I missed school!!" I held my head in confusion. "How could I have slept through the whole day?!"

I forced myself up and instantly became dizzy.  Black haze clouded my vision for a few moments until I dragged myself to the bathroom and flicked the lights on. 

I still looked beaten up, but it wasn't anything that a nice shower and decent makeup couldn't fix.

Slowly I began to pull off the clothes that concealed my body...