I'll Come Back

A/N: Just a reminder that this takes place before Ponyboy and Johnny kill the Soc and run away to Windrixville. 

~

I woke up with a groan. Johnny still had his arm around me tightly. "Johnny." I whispered, looking over my shoulder. He made a face and kept his eyes glued shut. "Johnnycake." I repeated, shaking him. Johnny finally stired and blinked his black eyes. "Hey Lola." he murmured, sitting up. He looked at my head and touched it. I winced. "It still hurts." I told him, getting up.

Johnny sat next to me and looked over at me. Thats when I saw that his eye was swollen and his cheek was bruised. "Johnny." I murmured. "Did he hit you again?" I asked. I hated that his parents beat him. I still remember when I was over at his house and his father stumbled in the room, completely drunk, with a two-by-four.

~

"Why have I never been to your house Lola?" I remember Johnny asking. I shrugged and looked at my feet. "I don't know. I like coming over here too much I guess." Johnny smiled a rare smile and threw his arm around me playfully. Then I heard bickering. I rolled my eyes and stood up, knowing we'd be heading out the door soon.

Thats when his father stumbled in, drunk off his pathetic ass. "Johnny! What the hell are you doing?" he slurred his words and grabbed a two-by-four that was propped against the door. "I was just talking to Lola." he replied calmly. I backed up, knowing what was coming. Johnny's black eyes were filled with fear as his father approached him.

Mr. Cade raised the piece of wood and smacked Johnny across the back with it. He didn't even flinch. Not even a groan escaped his lips. His father raised it again, this time hitting him in the stomach. Johnnycake grunted and doubled over. I couldn't take it anymore.

"STOP!" I screamed. Johnny looked up at me, sadness striking his eyes. "Lola go!" he snapped. He'd never yelled at me. I stayed there for a minute. "JUST GET OUT OF HERE!" Johnny had bellowed. I jumped back and slid out the door and ran away from the house. Johnny appoligized the next day about it. It still hurt for him to yell at me though.

~

 I shuddered at that memory. "I best be heading home. Want me to walk you home?" he asked. I shook my head quickly. "Sure? I don't mind." He really wanted to walk me home. "Johnnycake, I'm fine." I reassured him with a smile. Johnny smiled back and walked out the door.

I didn't want to go back home. I couldn't. I sat on the couch for a long while before I heard someone calling out. "Pony? Darry?" the voice called. I could easily tell it was Soda's. Soda found his way into the living room and saw me sitting on the couch. "Johnny left?" he wasking, sleepily. I nodded and stood up. I started to say that I was going to head home but then I remembered what had happened.

"Can I stay here for a bit?" I asked. Sodapop nodded with a smile. "What happened at home last night?" I froze. I was ready to tell him all of it. I opened my mouth to spit it out. I shut it quickly and shrugged. "I'd rather not talk about it." I told him. Soda nodded. "Stay here as long as you want." he said, patting my shoulder.

Soda disappeared into the kitchen to cook breakfast. I sat on the couch and picked up yesterday's paper. I read the headline and tossed it back down. It didn't sound interesting and it wasn't a mugshot of my brother with an article about some dumb crime he did.

About twenty minutes passed and the door was thrown open. "Hello!" the person yelled. I looked up, thinking I'd see Steve. I shuddered when I saw who it was. Dally was standing in the doorway, his eyes looking out at me to the side. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a cigarette. I needed to calm down and smoking was the best way for me to do that.