First Date

I sat behind the counter at the Dingo. I got hired last week and I hated it. Soda, Two-Bit, and Steve came in and sat down at the bar. I rested my elbows on the table. With the most bored voice I said, "Hey my name is Lolita and I'll be your waitress for today." Two-Bit poked my cheeks. "Brighten up!" I smiled and let out a small giggle. "What do you guys what?" I raised my eyebrows at them. "Three cokes." Soda piped up. I wrote it down and turned around to go get their drinks

As I turned, one of the three reached over the counter and smacked my ass just to mess with me. I turned real quick and slapped the first one I saw, which happened to be Soda. Soda, got wide eyed. "Sorry." I said, slowly, looking away. "Damn! It was Two-Bit!" Steve said. I served their cokes and they kept ordering refills for maybe an hour or so.

Once again, I had to turn around to get a refill and Two-Bit repeated his actions. This time when I turned, Soda and Steve "accidently" spilled their drinks on my uniform. "Dammit!" I yelled. "Guys! I'm working. Don't come in here acting like assholes! You'll get me fired." I screamed at them. That was when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to see my boss. He held out his hand and pointed at my apron. I handed it over.

I ran out of the Dingo, pissed. I actually needed that job. I needed to start thinking about college and I needed about a hundred dollars before I can pay for tuition. I thought that I could keep that job for a while and get my money.

I busted through the Curtis brothers' door. "Home already?" Darry asked. He took the day off today. "I got fired." I snapped. I was still covered in coke from Soda and Steve. "I yelled at customers. My boss didn't like me anyways. Now, thanks to them," I pointed at the door where the boys were, "I'm never going to college."

I ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. After cleaning up, I opened the door and went through the greasers in the living room and went out on the street. I sat on the curb and smoked a cigarette. I ran a hand through my hair. I know they didn't mean for me to get fired. I love those three but they took it way to far this time.

About the time I finished my second cigarette, someone sat next to me. "Can I have a smoke?" he said. I didn't bother to see who it was. I just took my pack out and tossed it to him. "Lighter?" the boy asked. I held it out and he reached a familiar tan hand over to me. It was the same tan hand that caressed my burns in the hospital.

"Johnny?" I choked out. I sounded like I'd been crying. I hadn't though. "Lolita?" Johnny said back. He tossed his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close. "What happened?" I took a drag on my cigarette. "Soda, Steve, and Two-Bit got me fired." I muttered. "In other words they ruined my chances of every going to college and getting out of Tulsa." When I mentioned leaving Tulsa, Johnny got wide eyed. "You can't leave Tulsa." I puffed smoke from between my lips and didn't answer.

Johnny and I sat on the sidewalk for hours. Eventually we got up and he walked me to the Curtis home. When I walked in, Soda jumped up but I ignored him. I walked strait past him and sat on the couch. After a few minutes of pure silence, Soda spoke up. "I'm sorry." I glared at the boy. He felt bad, awful even. I couldn't forgive him though.

"Lola? Say something?" Soda's eyes were begging for forgiveness that they didn't deserve. I opened my mouth and almost spitted out the most foul words I could think of. I closed my mouth and looked at the ground. "I wanted to go to college." I sniffed. "I needed that job." Soda put his arm around my shoulder and I let it hang there.

"Lola, I really am sorry. So is Two-Bit and Steve." I rested my head on my best friend's shoulder. "I shouldn't of gone off on you like that." I told him. Soda smiled at me and said, "Forgive me?" I nodded. "I'm sorry I slapped you." Soda shrugged. "It's fine."

~
Nearly a week later and I finally got another job. They needed someone to work the counter at the local auto mechanics shop. It was a lot better than the Dingo. I sat behind a counter, answered the phones, and wrote down people's appointments. People weren't as rude and I could actually eat while I was working.

One day after getting off of work, I was walking to go see Dally since I was still living away from him. Johnny stopped me on the street. He never walked alone. He also hated me walking alone. We wrapped our fingers together. "Are you off for the rest of the day?" he asked. I nodded. "Do you want to go for a walk as out first date?" he asked. I nodded.

We walked around until we ended up at the park. I felt a little embarrassed since I still smelled of gasoline. We sat on the edge of the fountain. Johnny leaned in towards me and I felt out lips touch. He smiled against my lips and pulled away.

I could always  be myself around Johnny. He didn't care how I looked or how I smelled. He liked the inside of me even though it isn't that great. He liked me for well me.

I kissed Johnny. We stood up and Johnny walked me home. I watched him walk to his house. I went inside the Curtis home feeling happier than I'd even felt