Run Aways

The door slammed and I jolted awake. It was morning. I looked out the window and saw that the sun was in the middle of the sky. It was noon or later. I blinked a few times and Darry and Sodapop came into focus. Darry was holding the paper and Soda was waiting for his reaction. "They killed a Soc?" Darry gulped. Soda nodded. "Dally just got hauled into the station for it. He probably had nothing to do with it. He was at Buck's last night." Soda went on.

"Who killed a Soc?" I squeaked. Soda and Darry jumped. They'd probably forgotten I was sleeping on the couch. Soda turned around I saw the tears running down Soda's face. I stood up and tried to read the paper over Darry's shoulder but he hid it out of my view. "It was him and Johnny, wasn't it?" I asked, looking at Darry. Soda wiped his eyes and held back a sob. "Yeah. It was them. Bob Sheldon was found dead in the park this morning. Randy and his buddies turned Pony and Johnnycake in this morning. People said it was a stab wound. About six inches deep, right below the heart. He hit a vein and Bob bled to death." Sodapop explained, running a hand through his dark hair.

I shuddered at the thought of either of them murdering someone. "Who killed him?" I managed to say. My voice was shaking something awful. I drew in a quivering breath as Soda opened his mouth. Soda turned to look at me. "Promise you won't freak out?" he said softly. I nodded, already knowing the answer. "The Socs said it was Johnny." Johnny? He killed someone? He was scared of his own shadow.

My feet took me to the door. "Where are you going?" Darry questioned me. "To the station." I said back, leaping out the door. I ran to the police station. I had to make sure they didn't jail Dallas for something, for once, he didn't do. As I was running, someone stopped me. Well two people did.

Steve grabbed me around the waist as I ran by. Two-Bit was standing next to him. I tried to wiggle away from Steve. "Let go!" I snapped, hitting him the stomach with a fist. He grunted. "Why are you running?" Two-Bit asked, taking a drag on his cigarette. I looked up then down. It was a bad habit I did when I was thinking of a lie. "To The Dingo." I said a little to quickly.

Two-Bit stared at me. "We'll come with you!" He tossed an arm over my shoulder. I jumped out from under him. "N-No. I'll be fine." I said, holding up my hands. "You'll get jumped!" Steve tried to help. I gave him a death stare and he knew to back off. "You got a blade?" Steve asked. I felt around in my back pocket. The cold hilt of my switch blade rubbed against the back of my hand. "Yeah." I said, flicking it out. The two boys nodded and walked off.

I kept running. I ran past The Dingo and strait into the Police Station. Dally was just leaving. "Lolita!" He gasped. "What're you doing here?" he asked, leading me out the door. He wasn't being accused! Thank goodness. "Where are they?" I snapped. "I know you know where they are!" He had to of helped them get away. Johnny and Ponyboy wouldn't of made it a mile without Dally's help.

Dally kept walking away from the station. He stopped at an alley and pulled me into the darkness. He lit up a cigarette and sighed. "Windrixville." he whispered. "How'd they get there?" I asked, leaning against the wall, taking a cigarette from my brother. "A freight train. I gave them a heater and they're hiding in that old abandoned church." I started to turn around but he grabbed my arm. "Don't go after them. They'll be fine Lola." he whispered to me with a soft smile. I sighed and walked out.

"Lets stop at The Dingo, yeah?" Dally suggested. I shook my head. "I'm good." I wasn't hungry. I couldn't eat knowing that Johnny had killed a Soc. Little Johnny, scared of his own shadow, killed Bob. We walked past The Dingo. "Can I have your lighter?" I asked Dallas. He nodded and passed it over. I lit up the cigarette and sighed.

I was going after them whether they liked it or not. I wasn't going to stay in Tulsa wondering where they are. They could be dead for all Dally and I know. Anyways, Darry and Sodapop are worried sick about Ponyboy. The whole gang is worried sick about Johnny.