A Flashback on Friday

~Four Years Ago~

What?

What's going on? I'm kind of dizzy. I hear a screaming child, and a crying mother. What is this? I smell something odd. It doesn't smell very nice.

 And I feel something warm on my hands. It's kind of wet.

My vision is sort of blurry. Huh? I'm falling to the ground. I don't feel anything. Have I fallen yet?

Am I still falling?

- - -

Three hours later, I awoke next to the dead bodies of a child and a mother, with a knife in hand. Blood dropped from my hands, though I remained unharmed. Both bodies were cold. So cold. It's snowing. A thin layer of snow covered their clothes, and that snow was stained red.

I, Reiko Villnilla, have killed a family.

And I have also discovered something: Blood is a lot thicker than you'd think it would be.

_This whole event was forgotten_

~Present~

Luciano Vargas. So that's his name. He told me as we parted, and also reminded me of a way to pay him back for "saving me". How vexatious.

So today is Friday. I hate Friday's. People make too much out of it. Friday is just another day of the week. Weekends are annoying to me. No school, no distractions. It gives me the lust for blood.

Ha, you don't hear that every day, do you? A lust for blood? Yeah, I get it whenever I'm not concentrated on something. It's so frustrating, to be different. I already know I've killed a lot of people, I just can't remember how. And I don't freak out over blood.

I don't freak out over touching blood, I mean. Seeing blood makes me dizzy, it makes my vision blurry. And over the years, I've found it gives me an irresistible feeling to kill, to taste. And I forget everything afterwards. 

I've called this the temptation. God, I'll do anything to avoid it.

And I can't seem to find anything wrong with killing in general, no matter how hard I try. Hah, what a psychopath, right?  

- - -

Luciano waved to me at the school gate with a smile. "Ciao, bella." I clicked my tongue. "Please just call me by my name." His eyes narrowed, as if he was annoyed. "And what would that be?"

Oh right. I haven't told him my name yet, have I. "Reiko." He chuckled. "That means 'beautiful child' in Japanese, so bella will do." I just shrugged it off. "Whatever."

But before we entered the front doors, with no one around, he put his hands on my waist. Touching my long black strands of hair, he whispered softly into my ear, "And you are indeed beautiful." That made my cheeks burn up.

"W-Whatever. Let's get to class." I said shakily as he let go of my waist.

That was surprising. All day, I couldn't think of anything but him.

- - -

When the bell rang, people jumped out of their seats and rushed down the hallway. I sat quietly at my seat until the noise in the hallway settled down, with Luciano by my side. Jesus, having him in all of my classes made it harder to forget about this morning.

Am I really this sensitive? He just whispered into my ear, that's all.

After the noise quieted down a bit, I gathered my things and walked with Luciano down the hallway. His curl bounced a bit as we walked. And no matter how much I refused to believe it, the only word I could find for it was cute.

What's going on with me today? My heart is racing and I shiver in embarrassment whenever I'm around Luciano.

When will this end?

- - -

Luciano didn't walk home with me, which was relieving. He lives in the opposite direction my house is in, and he got a call. He said he had to go.

So I walked home alone. Or, I was planning to. I never ended up actually going home. Instead, I walked endlessly with wandering thoughts. They were all on Luciano. It wasn't hate.

Then what was it? Love? Probably not. I mean, I  met him only a few days ago. What does love feel like? I've never been raised by my own parents, so I couldn't know.

But my thoughts halted when I heard the sound of cutting. Of cutting flesh. I know what it sounds like, and it's not very loud, so I must be nearby. Wait, where was I anyway?

Snapping back to reality, I noticed I was in an alley. The sound probably came from around the corner.

Wait, what am I doing? If I were to get involved, I'd probably end up-

Too late. 

I was already at the corner, with blood smeared on my face from the victim.

A curl, dark hair, violet eyes. And a female victim with rips in her clothes made by the knife that has cut through her skin. It didn't take me long to process this sudden series of events.

- - -

Did I tell you that it was snowing today? The snow was very light. Temperatures dropped enough since yesterday that there was already a thin layer of snow on the ground.

Is snow supposed to be red? My fingers have a few drops of blood on them, and so does my cheek. My clothes are stained by a few droplets of red as well. My vision is kind of blurry, and I feel a bit dizzy. I remember seeing someone I knew. Who was it? He had dark hair and an adorable little curl. His eyes were beautiful. But, what color were they?

Oh, right. They were a fierce violet. He was cutting through an female's body. Her hair was a curly blonde, like the victim in the bathroom. However her facial features were more similar to that of a middle aged woman. She seemed to still be alive, yet she was silent. And the attacker....

Isn't that Luciano?

What am I doing? My vision became clear and I saw blood on my hands. Just like that night. The mother and the child. The mother was middle aged, and looked similar to this one.

Four years ago.

This reminded me of four years ago, how I angrily slashed at the family. I murdered the family.

But my bloody hands were around Luciano's victim. Shouldn't I be against Luciano? What am I doing? Oh, am I shielding her? No, I'm holding a knife. Luciano looked at me in surprise. There's a mark around the woman's neck.

I seemed to have slit her throat. But I'm not crying, I'm not afraid, nor am I smiling.

I saved the woman from her pain, but I also killed her.

But I'm not thinking about the woman, I'm remembering something. Four years ago, when I killed the family of a friend who once betrayed me. She was trying to use my strength for her own greedy needs. She was the only person I trusted, and she took advantage of that.

I felt no tears, I only felt pain. A pain in my heart so great.

How could I forget? How could I forget?

I threw the corpse at Luciano and shakily stood up. My legs held, but my heart felt like it was about to break. How come I forgot? No, why do I feel so much pain?

Was my friendship with that unknown person so valuable to me that I must feel this way?

Before I knew it, Luciano was already by my side and steadying me. He spoke no words, and only gathered me in his arms. "How interesting, bella." were the last words I heard him say before I lost consciousness.