43. |

// Jakob's point of view //

Solo assessment. We're ready for that, but I'm not ready for going to Annabelle's next week. Ethan has somehow managed to get Zane to go to his house for the two weeks, and that leaves Chris here. He says he doesn't mind and that it might give Lara some thinking time without Zane brainwashing her. Then I think his plan is to come in and get her while she's vulnerable. Right now, though, we're about to head on stage. I push the nerves down as our name is called.

•••

That. Was. Amazing. I've never even sure of anything much in my life, but even just after one performance to the school, I know I want to do this. I want to do this for a living. I want to sing. Not just for little charity events anymore. I want to sell out stadiums and maybe even arenas. At some point in your life, something just clicks inside of you. This little click of mine happened about a minute ago. I think I just got serious. I'm sure Ethan will be happy to talk about that, but right now he's gone to do our second stage of assessment.

Chris and I are sitting back down in the auditorium, waiting for the girls to be announced. Annabelle was really nervous this morning, but she seemed calmer backstage. I know she'll do amazingly. There's no denying that, she's got the best voice out of all three of them.

"What will you be singing?" One of the other music teachers asks. I only know the name of Mr Johnstone, we don't talk to many people from other classes.

"All of the Stars by Ed Sheeran." Laura announces, running her hand through her hair. She's still a fake bitch, but she's learnt to work with her group. Annabelle doesn't have as many problems with her as she used to. The lights go dim as a single spotlight shines down on Sophia.

By the end, the whole room is on their feet, and it's all thanks to Annabelle's solo featuring a massive note that I could only ever dream hitting. She's definitely passed this semester. We've been working hard on her grades and I'm confident she's going to pass. As everyone sits down, I can't keep the smile off of my face. That's my girl, and she just got her first standing ovation.

•••

// Chris' point of view //

As Lara walks on stage, I get those nervous butterflies in my stomach. She's going to do something... Something I don't want to happen. I can tell, and I bet I know what it is. She's going to sing to Zane.

"What are you singing, sweetie?" A teacher asks from the marking panel. The same five teachers do the marking so that there are no favourites. They are all level five teachers and therefore don't have as many students.

"On My Way by Lea Michele." Lara replies, staring confidently out at the audience. This just saddens me. After all of our late nights watching Glee and admiring Lea Michele's talent, she decides to sing this. And to Zane? It just hurts.

"And my hearts too drunk to drive, I should stay away from you tonight."

Are the lyrics to the first part of the chorus, and that's how I know it's to Zane.

•••

// Jakob's point of view //

After all of today's performances, Chris and I rush back to the music room to find Ethan. We peek through the door to find him doing his part now. There must have been a long line. He's in the back glass room adjoining the classroom, and he looks over and sees us. He gives us a small smile and a thumbs up before looking back to where he was before. My eyes travel to the people waiting in the main room when they settle on Zane. Zane's performance wasn't amazing, but it was definitely not bad. He was lacking something... Something like effort or that he actually cared about what he was doing. He knows Lara sang to him, though, and he's got this cocky look in his eyes. I'm glad Ethan comes out of the room and Chris and I have to step back from the door, because I didn't want Chris seeing Zane.

"How did you go?" Chris asks as Ethan walks out.

"Good. I think we've passed, boys." Ethan announces, throwing an arm over both of our shoulders as we do the same, walking down the hallway.

•••

"I can't believe we're not going to see each other for two weeks." Chris states as he watches Ethan and I pack our suitcases. We're both leaving tomorrow.

"You guys can finally get a break from my stupid schedule. I'm more worried about Jake meeting Annabelle's parents. I'm sure they'll hate him." Ethan jokes, but he doesn't realise how insecure I already am about this. I'm worried sick. I laugh off the harshness, though, and just try to think of a good comeback.

"At least I'm not spending the whole two weeks with Zane Kratil."

"Hey, at least one of us can make some good progress. With Zane out of the picture, Chris can crack Lara. Once that's sorted, everything can go back to normal." Ethan replies.

"What even is normal? There's always something going on." Chris sighs. I look over to find him sprawled out on his bed.

"Hey, you can have top bunk while we're not here." Ethan pipes up.

"Dude, I'm literally going to drag both mattresses onto the floor and make a double bed. I'm thinking positively here." Chris laughs.

I stay mostly silent as Chris and Ethan continue to talk. I'm nervous as hell and I'm meeting my girlfriends parents tomorrow afternoon. I'm so scared they'll think of me as a city boy who just cares about his hair and whether his jeans are tight enough. That's who I am on the outside, but I'm not on the inside. I can be a country guy if I need to be. But what if they don't give me the chance?

"Jake, you okay?" Ethan's voice breaks my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm just thinking." I reply distantly, hoping the words are actually coming out of my mouth and not just forming in my brain.

"Well share your thoughts with us. It's our last night for a while, we might as well use it to talk, no matter how lame that is." Chris says, sitting up on the edge of his bed. Ethan walks over and sits on the edge of his, the power of both of their stares forcing me to come over and sit next to Ethan.

"What if Annabelle's parents don't like me? What if I'm too city for them. You know how out of her comfort zone Annabelle is here. What if it's the same for me over there?" I start, only realising how stupid I sound after I've finished.

"They'll see your feelings for Annabelle and that won't even cross their mind." Ethan tells me, but that doesn't really help at all. There's one thing that had just been playing at my mind for a while.

"What.. What if we're just too different?" I start off hesitant and finish confident. It's true, city and country don't usually mix the way Annabelle and I have.

"Don't say that. Don't let yourself trick you out of things just because you're nervous. They obviously love Annabelle, and they'll see how much you mean to her as well. If it's meant to be, it will be- no matter where you're from. I mean, compared to you guys, I'm backstreets, but you guys are main roads and tall buildings. We're almost opposite, yet we get along because we like the same things. You both love to sing and you both love the same style. Sometimes music can bring you closer than a lot of things." Chris says the words I wish I could of heard weeks ago when I first thought of this.

"Thanks, guys, but we really need to pack, and I need to sleep too..." I trail off, not wanting to get too emotional with these guys. I know it's not 'manly' to have these discussions with the boys, but sometimes it's all I want and need.