Chapter 1- The Event

Laureen wanted to walk  away. For the first time in her life, she wanted to just leave even when she had the advantage. Three girls from her school had pushed her  against the wall just minutes before, kicking and punching her. She could feel the pain in the back of her head from the wall impact, and  she was almost certain she would have a bruise there tomorrow. She had  fought back against the girls as best she could, only managing to knock  one of the three girls away. In that little time, when the girl crashed  into the other, she punched the girl holding her back and ran. With them  shouting after her, she knew she wouldn't be able to run much further.

She  practically threw herself into the work closet, on the side of the  building, shutting the door behind her. She pressed herself against a  cold metal shelf as she heard the girls come closer. They pounded at the  door, to scare her, and the nob turned. In that moment, Laureen grabbed  the thing closest to her and looked at her. A crowbar, which looked  like it had been recently cleaned and slightly bent. At that moment,  time seemed to slow down. Laureen wanted to disappear before they came  into the room.

She had a good idea of what was about to happen, even if she was scared out of her mind. The door was opening, and Laureen could feel herself lifting the crowbar further from the ground.  The other girls seemed to flood in, rushing straight for her with smirks  on their faces. Without feeling the weight of her weapon, she swung the  crowbar in front of her with great force, successfully dug it into the girl's head. The girls skidded to a halt, but Laureen lurched forward  and closed the door behind them, her first instinct being to hide what  she had done.

Her eyes had always been prone to changing colors, usually when she was lost in emotion, due to her perplexing eye condition. Her eyes turned a dark orange, slowly, nearly red as she let  out the breath she didn't realize she had been holding. As she closed  the door, the other girls backed up, surprised and frightened at the  sight of their accomplice on the floor, head bleeding. "H-hey, now,  Laur-" One of the girls said, but was cut off by the sudden movement of Laureen. It had all gone by so fast, that for her, she could barely register what was happening.

"Be quiet. Don't talk." She said, barely heard under the scream of the girls as she brought the crowbar  down once more. She just wanted them to be quiet- that's what she wanted, her eyes fading from her curious orange to a dark gray, a rather alarming change in color, but it went unmentioned. She could still hear their voices, what they said before;

'You don't have a clue, do you?'

'No one likes you, Laury! You're such a b***h! In fact, why don't you just off yourself, do us all a favor?'

'Even your parents can't stand to be around you- that's why you barely see 'em! Not because they're focused on their work!'

'I bet they came up with that excuse just to stay away from a screwed up girl like you!'

'I hope that eye thing blinds you! It'll be funny to watch you stumble around!'

Her eyes narrowed. "Stop talking." She said, even though the voices of the girls had died down a minute ago. It took a few moments of her simply  standing there until her eyes widened a bit. Her eyes steadily turned to a very light- nearly tan- yellow, as she stared upon the scene in front  of her. All three girls were on the floor, bruised and bleeding, unmoving. Laureen stared in horror as she dropped the crowbar, dropping  on her knees to feel one of the girl's pulse. At first, she simply thought she was doing it wrong and tried again, but there was still no detected heartbeat.

She went over to the blonde leader of the group (the one she had hurt last) and felt her neck for a pulse  instead, hoping and praying this wasn't real, or at least that they were  alive. She felt a slow beating. "Carol?! Carol?! Do you hear me?!" Laureen called to the girl. The girl didn't answer, motionless, as her  pulse seemed to go further and further away, until it was eventually  gone. Laureen froze, not being able to move. She had just killed three  girls with a blunt weapon in the work closet. She realized her clothes  had blood splatters on them, which now stained her white polo shirt and  khaki skirt. The crowbar was on the ground, covered in drying blood, near the wall.