Chapter 10- Laughter

Jeff awoke to the sound of Malachi's alarm clock, which had been set to 6:00 A.M. For a moment, he just let the annoying little clock repeatedly beep, wishing that he had more time to rest. He groaned, accepting that he would not be getting any more sleep today, flipping his rag off his eyes and hitting the button of the alarm clock a bit harder than he had intended. He allowed himself another minute of simply laying there and starring at the ceiling, before sleepily swinging his feet over the side of the bed, grumbling to himself as he did so. He was currently only in his pants and a black t-shirt, as his hoodie and shoes were on the other side of the room. His socks were still on his feet, on account of him being too lazy to take them off the night before.

He batted a strand of his long, unmanaged hair out of face, glaring at the alarm clock as best he could. He felt groggy, and clearly needed more sleep, but there was no time. He let out a small sigh as he reminded himself of that fact. Jeff stood up, already on his balance as his graceful stature didn't allow him to falter even in the morning. Jeffery had no idea he was this graceful; he always thought of it as something girly and not fitting for a killer. Truth be told, he unintentionally practiced his grace every time he killed, since he had to be light on his feet and in total control of himself before he took his next victim. Though he knew he had obtained a certain amount of stealth over the years, he was oblivious to any graceful stature or poise he had.

Jeff walked over to his hoodie draped over the chair at the desk, the 'Sparringburg helicopter training flight times' page still up on the monitor of the computer. Grumbling again, he pulled his hoodie on, managing to ruffle his hair further in the process. He felt through the pocket to make sure his knife was still there, out of habit, and then walked lazily over to the wall, where his shoes laid. He shuffled them on without undoing the laces, which were tied in so many knots by now that it seemed impossible to untangle. He pulled his hood over his messy hair, not caring enough to simply smooth the mangled locks down, and stepped out of the room. The first thing he caught sight of was Laureen, still sleeping peacefully on the couch, with her blanket snuggled close to her.

Jeff walked up to the couch, vaguely noticing his own muffled footsteps and subconsciously reminding himself that he was not sneaking up on another victim, therefore having no reason to be quiet. He walked normally the rest of the way to the couch and shook the sleeping teen to wake her up. "...Hey. Hey, get up! We have to leave or else we won't make the helicopter." He said, volume lowered slightly out of his own grogginess. Laureen groaned and pulled the cover over her head, in a fashion so childish that Jeff was almost expecting a 'five more minutes' line from her. He rolled his eyes, and instantly regretted it when they began to burn. He let out a small grunt of pain under his breath, resisting the urge to rub at his eyes. The irritation he felt was clear in his voice.

"Get up! We have to get going. You packed?" He said, pulling Laureen's blanket back off her head in a less-than-gentle manner. Laureen squinted her eyes and groaned. "Yeah...um, yeah I'm packed." She said groggily, voice hushed and a bit raspy, attempting to rub the sleep out of her eyes. "Good. I'll go get everything ready...oh, and take your crowbar." Jeff replied. "Huh? Oh. Why? I won't be-" Laureen's sentence was interrupted with a yawn she couldn't hold back. "...won't be killing anyone..." She continued, still sleepy. She looked to Jeffery, his face startling her and causing her eyes to widen, reminding her just who she was talking to. "Just bring it, okay? You should get dressed." Jeff replied, walking away into the kitchen and opening the fridge, grabbing the bags of food he had prepared the night before.

The food was in two blue fabric bags, fresher than it would have been if Jeff had simply left it out. He pulled both of the small bags off the plastic shelves, turning around and kicking the fridge closed with his heel before walking over to the table. He set the bags down just to make sure everything he packed was there, and that he didn't need anything else. Inside the bags were just some snacks and things to get them through the first day or two; he wasn't planning on packing food for the whole trip, after all. He could easily get food in Arcos, so he had no reason to pack a bunch of meals. After a few more minutes, he decided to simply sit on the couch and wait for Laureen to get dressed.