Chapter 8- A Human Charm

Laureen was left staring at the black dust on the ground left behind by the smoke, which dissolved into thin air a minute later. Malachi, who was now leaning against the wall, had just been talking to the monochrome clown along with everyone. Soon enough, just after they were starting to get comfortable speaking to Jack, they exchanged their goodbyes. Jack had been surprisingly polite given his appearance. He even added Laureen that she would be a great fighter with some practice (which she supposed was a compliment). After that, he disappeared in a puff of black smoke.

Laureen was shocked, clueless as to how the clown had just disappeared. Being someone who frequently heard of impossible cases being solved, enjoyed puzzles and crime shows, and lived with someone very logical, she believed there was an answer for everything. A logical answer. But she, of course, couldn't explain Laughing Jack's teleportation, which seemed to just be magic all on it's own. 'Yeah right. I've seen magic shows with that stunt- falling through the floor and such. I bet if I check the floorboards I'll find evidence. ...What a jerk, setting that up in someone's house.' She thought.

Malachi on the other hand, was not opposed to the idea of it truly being some sort of dark magic. The clown obviously wasn't human, and in Malachi's mind, whatever was not human did not have to fall into humanity's boundaries. Though it was very strange to see. Malachi looked over to Jeff after the clown disappeared to see his reaction, but Jeff was already used to seeing Jack teleport around, and was therefore unfazed. He walked out into the living room, past the stunned two, and sat on the couch. Malachi was still for a moment, seemingly thinking, before speaking. "Hey, wait, Jeffery! I had no idea you were friends with a killer clown!" He said, as if it were easy to say, as he followed Jeff into the living room at his own pace.

Laureen simply stood, watching the last bits of dust dissolve on the ground as she buried herself in thought, her eyes slowly going black. It was eerie-looking, her concentrated black eyes, but she paid no mind to that at the moment. She thought about Laughing Jack's arm...how it extended and reached out for her. His arms were already a bit longer than normal, but then again, what about him was normal? No, she can't be thinking like that right now. She had to find an explanation, some sort of reason why his arm extended, and why he could disappear. They were both just carnival tricks after all, how hard could they be to figure out?

"Laureen! Asylum just came on!" Malachi said, just loud enough for Laureen to hear from the connected kitchen. Laureen spun around to see Asylum's opening theme playing. She smiled, her eyes mixing with light blue and pink. She didn't need to worry about the clown right now. For the moment, she could just assume everyone who knew Jeff personally would be strange. The problem in her little theory was that 'everyone who knew Jeff personally' also included Malachi and herself. But she didn't think of it at the time, sitting down on the couch just as the episode started.

The camera was still angled on the pocket knife from the previous episode, and Alex snapped it open. 'You...you're lying. Max Bencher played a part in this, I know it!' Alex said, keeping the knife out of the woman's sight. The woman tilted her head, causing her earrings jangle. 'Oh? You seem rather confident, Alex.' The woman said, smiling viciously and looking amused. 'There's proof! The proof that you left behind at the office party.' Alex replied, eyes (or eye, in the case his hair was covering his other one) going dark with hate. The woman chuckled a bit. 'I left evidence?' She said, 'You should know very well I went in disguise- how could I leave evidence at such a trivial place?'

'Maybe your disguise wasn't foolproof. I knew it was you.'

'Oh really? So tell me then, while you're still playing detective, what did I leave behind?'

'I'm surprised you didn't notice. It was obvious.'

Alex's voice turned dark and emotionless, lunging forward on the last word. The woman wasn't expecting this, barley having any time to process the action before a pocket knife was buried in her stomach. Her eyes widened, and she coughed a bit out of the sheer force she was hit with. Alex was the only thing holding her up, and he continued to talk closer to her ear. 'The glass of wine you drank from? I thought ahead.' He said. A look of realization crossed the woman's face. Scenes of flashbacks came on screen, of the woman taking a wine glass from a seemingly cheerful and unsuspecting Alex.