Chapter 2- The Time Spent

Malachi returned by about 7:40, when it was getting dark out, with the duffel bag thrown over his broad shoulder. He had practically shoved all Laureen's clothes into the bag, and a few things he thought might be the most valuable to her, including her tooth brush and hair brush. He also took a notebook he thought might be important to her, with some research that looked like it had been collected for about a month or so. When Malachi reached the top floor, via elevator, he found Laureen passed out cold on the wooden chair, lightly snoring.

Her arm was dangling off the side, nearly touching the floor, and her head was turned and leaning on her right shoulder. Malachi sighed, smiling a small smile. This girl reminded him very much of Jeffery Woods, the boy who found him here nearly a decade ago. He was a bit ruder, though, even if he was kind to Malachi after about three days. At first, Jeffery tried to kill him for seeing him, until Malachi told him it was alright, that it was over. After all, the boy looked traumatized, and absolutely insane.

He told the boy he was safe here, that he was ok, and that he didn't need to hurt anyone. He watched the boy's eyes water, but later learned that Jeffery never allowed himself to cry. Malachi sighed at the memory. He knew what Jeffery must be doing now. He put the duffel bag down by Laureen's hand, and shook her lightly. Laureen's eyes opened groggily, her eyes a deep purple, having changed to this tired color long ago. "I got your clothes. You should get dressed in something clean." Malachi said to the half-awake girl.

Laureen yawned a bit, and nodded, just barely making out what the man said. She stood up. Malachi gave her the bag, observing her pink, purple, and dark blue eyes. 'I need a color chart for those or something.' He thought. "Thank you." Laureen said, offering a small but genuine smile. Malachi smiled back. "Go wash up. I'll make something to eat, you must be hungry." he said. Laureen's face twisted in disgust. "No...I don't think I can eat tonight, but thank you for the offer." Laureen said, heading towards the stairs to go change in the bathroom.

As soon as she was out of sight, Malachi sighed. "Twice now...I've sheltered a murderer." He muttered, rubbing his tired eyes and adjusting his glasses. Laureen changed in the bathroom, and came out in a pair of comfortable pajama pants and a fuzzy long sleeved pajama shirt, both a dark green. She had washed the blood away from her skin, and threw her uniform in the trash. She took a minute to think about the situation she was in, which had changed her life so fast. Because she couldn't control herself.

Her dark blue and purple eyes lowered to the couch, which now had the black pillow from upstairs and a tan and blue striped comforter lying on it. She smiled at the blanket and pillow, knowing Malachi must have made this makeshift bed for her. She laid on the couch, pulling the comforter over her and snuggling into the pillow.

*The next day*

The next morning Laureen awoke to the smell of something metallic. She slowly sat up, swinging her legs onto the floor. Rubbing her eyes, she stood and walked to the stairs, the metallic smell getting so strong she could taste it in the back of her tongue. She walked up the stairs to see Malachi leaned over his desk, melting some sort of metal into a strong mold. "Morning." She said lightly, Walking behind Malachi to see what he was doing. "Mor...ning..." He said, concentrating on pouring the liquid metal into the mold of a small wide cylinder on his desk.

Laureen watched this with curious orange eyes, with traces of purple still around the sides of her irises. The metal filled the mold easily, and Malachi moved it cautiously to the side, filling two more molds until the container of melted metal ran out. He sighed in relief, taking off his work gloves and setting them on the table. "What is that?" Laureen asked, eyes fully orange now. Malachi smiled. "It's the holding part of a seal. It's like a stamp; I still have to add the rubber seal to the bottom." He said, standing and heading down the stairs. Laureen followed suit, talking as she walked.