Chapter 15- Pray For Me

It's amazing how sitting in annoyance for long enough can drain yourself of the feeling. Eventually, Laureen had wallowed in it for so long that it all melted back to the anxiousness and sadness she had felt before. The scratches on her elbow and lip stung in the cool air of the helicopter, but she made no move to cover them. Instead, she sat quietly with her knees up to her chest, arms crossed over them. No words were exchanged between her and Jeffery, much less between them and the pilot, causing a looming silence felt by everyone aboard the copter. However, they all comprehended it differently. For Laureen, it was a dead silence.

A silence without emotion, other than the vague sense of sadness and wrong doing. To Mathis, it was a deadly silence. A silence filled with terror, doubt, regret, and depression. Jeff felt neither the dead nor deadly silence. To him, it was a more violent silence. An aggravated and tired silence. There was no sense of danger or wrongness, but rather, confusion and boredom. The confusion came from him trying to understand Laureen's flawed thought process, which bled back into a lingering aggravation. And frankly, the trip was long and uninteresting; it bored him.

While a part of him longed to make conversation, he had no idea what to say to Laureen, and was still trying to be cautious of Mathis. There had not been many pilots who were stupid enough to pull something in the first hour, and though he was unmoving for now, Jeff couldn't tell if he was planning something. But for some reason, it was hard to focus on that. It was hard to focus on anything. His thoughts jumped between Malachi, Laureen, and his fellow proxies. He began to wonder how long he could stay away from the Slender Household without drawing Slenderman's attention to him.

This wouldn't even be worth staying for if it wasn't for Malachi. Jeff didn't know why the old man was so persistent about Laureen. It was obvious that she seemed to have the certain symptoms of a murderer itching to kill, but Jeff never imagined Malachi agreeing to it, much less enforcing it. He wondered if Laughing Jack would drop by again, and if he would keep Jeff's secret safe. Neither of them have ever done well with Slenderman's rules, and had even broken some of those rules together, so he imagined Jack would keep his mouth shut. 'Now let's just hope he doesn't tell BEN.' Jeff thought somewhat bitterly.

BEN was a decent guy, though he was a hermit who seemed to favor video games over people. Jeff hadn't personally had a problem with the elf until midway through last year, when BEN had witnessed him stealing another proxy's property. Instead of simply keeping it to himself, BEN told Slenderman about the incident, causing Jeff to get some major restrictions for the rest of the year. Needless to say, there was some...aggressive air between them now. But there was still a need for caution. Laughing Jack and BEN were great friends, and had known each other longer than Jeff had. They still saw each other every other day, be it at the carnival or at the house.

Jeff was hoping that bond wouldn't convince the clown to start up a conversation about the ridiculous errand he was running. The errand he was running for a human. None of the proxies were human anymore, though most of them had been once, but the term was still used loosely. The phrase 'I'm only human' or 'all humans make mistakes' was uncommon to hear...unless the owner of the household was in the room. The Slenderman had specific ideas of what was human and what was not, and in his book, the proxies fell very much under the category of inhuman.

So he never referred to them as human, instead only using the word literally. It was used very literally when it was clearly stated in one of the strict rules of the household. 'Do not become involved with humans any more than necessary'. Laureen and Malachi were most certainly human of course, and he was involved with each of them way more than what was acceptable. How crazy could he be to risk his life for some human? How insane was it to disobey Slenderman because of some human? How dare he agree to the requests of some human? 'To be fair...he isn't exactly 'some human'." Jeff thought to himself. It was true that he held exceptions for Malachi, due mainly to something that happened during Jeff's stay with him.