Chapter 16- Lies and Deception

At some point, Laureen's vision had drifted back towards the helicopter door. She looked at it with worry and anticipation, as if something was about to come through it. In the back of her mind, she hoped that something would be the pilot. The pilot who came back into the safety of the helicopter, and flew it away as Jeff was still aimlessly searching in the forest. Of course, she would leave the helicopter if that happened and let him escape.

She was a criminal after all, and was supposed to be in jail. She couldn't accompany him on his flight to get whatever authority's attention he would be going to. Laureen's eyes narrowed at the door. It probably wasn't even possible that the pilot would return. She saw the crazed smile on Jeff's face just as well as the poor guy did. The intent to kill in his eyes. The way his body was positioned, as if he was just itching to lunge at his newest victim.

Laureen hugged her knees a bit closer, still staring at the door. Jeff had probably already killed him by now. It was probably an awful, brutal death that the pilot hadn't deserved. She tried for a moment to force that thought out of her mind, but gave up when it stubbornly remained there, as if it were mocking her. That thought coupled with the silence in the vehicle made the atmosphere terribly depressing. It was the same feeling she had tried to push away from herself, but there was no running from it now.

It caught up to her...just as Jeff probably caught up to the pilot. She prayed that the pilot could run at the speed of an Olympic professional, though the odds of that being true were not in her favor. Another thought stemmed from that. What would she do if the pilot really did escape? She would undoubtedly be in trouble when the authorities figured out that she was still alive. Jeff would probably ditch her and remain uncaught. But the pilot...he would be alive.

'That pilot probably had a loving family, and friends. He had things to live for. He had a purpose, and wasn't supposed to die to the hands of a murderer.' Laureen thought, feeling her eyes water a bit. This was blood on her hands, wasn't it? Just like the blood of those three girls. If she hadn't killed them, she would never have met Malachi, and would have never ended up going to Arcos. She shook her head, shaking the thought away.

'No. I can't think like this right now. While it is...mostly my- no, partly my fault, I'm not the one who killed him. If it were just me here, he would still be alive. So it isn't entirely because of me.' She reasoned with herself, eyes falling back to the door. She felt a little dissatisfied with that explanation...but she didn't have much time to ponder it. The door opened, and Jeff stepped in. Laureen's eyes widened. 'Why are my eyes widening? I knew he'd look like this.' A voice in the back of her mind spoke.

Yes, she knew he'd look like this...but to see it in front of her...the blood, and the knife still in his hand...how was she supposed to stay completely calm? There were bloodstains on the front of his hoodie, on his hands, a bit on his pant legs too. His knife glistened with fresh blood as well. His hair looked more wild, as if he had been doing flips or something. It was pulled away from his face, and sticking up in a few places. He had a satisfied smirk, which was made wider by his cuts.

Jeff saw Laureen's expression as he was stepping into the helicopter, forcing his thoughts into a battle. Part of him wanted to act more crazed than he was, just to freak her out. Another part of him wanted to hide every trace of what he had done. Which was stupid, since he didn't care about how he looked. Laureen already knew he was a killer, so why would hiding the evidence change anything? Still, he was a little more motivated to put his knife away this time as he slid it into his hoodie pocket.

The smirk remained glued to his expression though. He was definitely satisfied with the murder he committed, and kept picturing the pilot's face. Stabbing and cutting away at his victim had given Jeff a similar feeling to being high. It was an exciting, adrenaline filled high...and was undeniably addictive. There was no need to think in that one moment, that moment where the victim was completely helpless and doomed.