Chapter 8

I sit in my bed, staring at the ceiling of my cabin. My fingers trace the pearl, moving it back and forth smoothly. Peeta gave me the pearl in our second games. I loved him then, but now I'm not sure I'm capable. Love plays in mysterious ways, and I'd rather stay out of that mystery. My feelings are all over the place, I can't think straight, I sometimes think I'm actually insane. But if I am, would this all be a dream? A messed up dream? No. I'm not insane, I'm just broken. Snow turned me into his mutt, and I have to kill him for it. There's something inside me saying that I can't kill him, that I won't. I sit up and place the pearl in a candy dish next to my bed. I throw the covers off, and tie a thin robe on. I place my hand on the keypad. The door closes behind me and I walk around. I make my way up, towards the moonlight. The moonlight comes from a small window on the top floor. I climb the stairs until I reach the top. This is as close I've been to the outside in a year. I stare at the light for what seems to be forever, when a small dot hovers over the window. As it gets closer, it starts to block the moonlight, making the entire place slowly pitch black. Then it pops into my head. Before I have any time to act, the dot lands, and an explosion goes off.