XII ~ Be With Me

31st October, 8:00PM:

Katie wished she could turn back time. The expression on Percy's face was enough for her to feel scared. He looked murderous as she watched him run from the Olympian throne room and away from the gods.

Travis took Katie's arm and hauled her outside. "What was that?" He asked, shocked.

"Annabeth is gone." Katie replied, eyes brimming with tears. The evening sunset over Olympus was beautiful, but she could only focus on the fact that Annabeth Chase was dead.

Annabeth had been the only one who Katie had admitted her feelings about Travis to, because Annabeth was someone who Katie trusted just as much as her sister Miranda. And now, Katie had lost a good friend.

"But - as far as we can tell, the House was only meant to be a prank." Travis murmured softly. He took Katie's hands in his and gazed into her eyes.

"I know. But maybe she isn't dead." Katie said, staring back at Travis.

"I hope Percy doesn't do something drastic." Travis sighed. "You know what happened last time he got mad."

"That was after the Giant War, right?" Katie smiled, fondly remembering the memory. "Leo and Calypso had just come back but Leo crash-landed into the sea and Percy had to go rescue them. He wasn't happy when Leo set him on fire." She laughed, Travis joining in.

"Your hair is beautiful." He complimented softly, staring at Katie's brown hair which the final rays of sunlight was shining on, turning it golden-brown.

"Thanks." Katie blushed.

"You never gave me that kiss." Travis whispered.

"Oh, that?" Katie giggled. "That was years ago."

"But it's still Halloween." Travis added. "And I know that you like me."

"How did you know that?" Katie raised an eyebrow.

"A little birdie told me." Travis gave her a cheeky grin.

"Just shut up and kiss me, you idiot." Katie grabbed the side of his face and pulled it down to hers.

They kissed, and in that moment, Katie knew that everything would be okay for her and Travis.

•••

Percy was angry. He resented the gods for not letting him go save Annabeth. Her death was their fault. And now that she was gone, Percy needed to see her again.

The bridge back to the Empire State Building elevator was the perfect place. Percy walked to the centre and stared over the side of the railing. Steadily, he clambered over it until the city of Manhattan directly below him.

Percy took a deep breath. He shut his eyes and imagined seeing Annabeth again. They could live happily together in Elysium, and all he had to do to get there was jump.

A voice screamed inside his head: 'DON'T DO IT!' But it was too late. Percy let go of the railing and leaned forwards.