Amber's P.O.V.: The Reaping

Chapter 2

Amber's P.O.V.: The Reaping

" Amber, help me get ready for the reaping!" " Coming Dad!" Wondering what the heck is going on here? Well let me explain why I have to help him. He has a disability called polio which causes motor paralysis. Basically, I have to help my dad all the time! It's hard being the only child of a single dad with polio! This means I have to work extra hard in the fields growing crops to support my dad and I because here in district 11 if you have more family members working, you get more money. So I work triple. I work for me, my dad, and my dead mom( to the bosses, they don't care if someone's dead). To me it looks hopeless....

So, as I was saying, I helped my dad get ready and we were ready for the reaping." Amber, dear, don't forget your mother's lucky head bow!" " Oh yea, thanks dad!" This "lucky" bow is just an old purple head bow my mom always wears during the reapings. It's lucky because I was never chosen! I have wear it now in her place.

When I got it on, I walked with dad and his crutches (we are too poor for a wheelchair) to the main center part of district 11 and the reaping began.

" Yeah, yeah! welcome, welcome to the 57th annual Hunger Games reaping! I'm Aritina Ongelnettle and I shall host this year's reaping!" I stood boredly in my age line and daydreamed as we see the same old stupid movie about why we have the Hunger Games and why not to disobey the Capital again.

"Now let's start the name drawing! Ladies first!" "Oh God please not me! Dad will NEVER survive without me! I have to stay!!" There was silence. Then Aritina announced," Amber Smithson everybody!" "NO!!!!"

As I finally made it up to the podium Aritina was picking a boy's name. " And our lucky boy tribute is Plar Divinds!" "Plar?! THE Plar Divinds?! Oh no! I'm for sure dead now!" He looked me dead in the eye then stood next to me. " Everyone the tributes for district 11!" * clap, clap, clap*

I glanced at my dad. By the looks on our faces, we knew we had alot to discuss before I leave. I tried so hard not to cry. " I HAVE to look strong. I HAVE TO!"