Chapter #1

Hailey pov

"I can't believe you're actually here. In New York.. Moving in. With me!" my best friend Riley Perrin says helping me unpack my moving boxes scattered across her apartment living room. "I can't believe your dating, Ben Wheeler." I retort. She blushes as she takes out a stack of my towels.

"I mean, he was literally your crush, before Adam and Eve ate off that damn tree." I joke. She chuckles, putting a piece of hair behind her face. "It was not even that long, okay?" I stare at her, and she puts her hand on her hips "Okay, maybe a very long time! But! We're together now, and I'm happy." 

I walk over to her and hug her "Well, as long as your happy, Riles."

"Awww." she says pulling out of the hug, making me smile. "Oh! And I know you were worried about if Ben was still..."

"An asshole." I finish her sentence. She nods, swallowing hard "That. But I promise you, he's sweet, funny and-"

"Oh my god! Hippopotamus Hailey!" I hear a familiar voice say. I take a deep breath as I turn around slowly seeing Ben at her door, holding flowers.

Hippopotamus Hailey is my nickname from, High School. Riley and I were fat together, which is why we were always so close. We understood each other, when others didn't.

"Ben!" I fake smile. He walks up to me, looking in awe. "You are definitely not shaped like a hippopotamus anymore." he says with a laugh.

"Thanks wheeler!" I give him a punch to the arm. He chuckles, clutching his arm "Still hit like one, though."

"Okay!" Riley says wedging herself in between us. "Are the flowers for me?" He gives her a kiss "These are actually for hipp-"

I glare at him "Hailey, these are for Hailey. A welcome to the neighborhood gift." I take the flowers. "Thanks. I'll go burn them." I say walking to the kitchen. "Where's Emma?" I hear Riley ask Ben. "I dropped her off at my Mom's, so I can come help you guys." he tells her as I fill one of Riley's vases with water. "Aww, that's so sweet." Riley says making me roll my eyes. "Isn't that sweet, Hailey?" she asked. I turned off the water and put the vase on the counter. "The sweetest!" I reply in a innocent sarcastic voice.

"Oh by the way Hailey." Ben says "I hope you don't mind I-"

The door slams open revealing the guy, who broke my heart. Danny Wheeler. My heart literally stopped.

He was smiling at first until he saw me. "Hailey." His eyes widened. I was too in shock to say anything. Suddenly a small light skin guy, walks in front of him. "That's Hailey?!" he asked. "She's not shaped like a hippopotamus!"

Riley pov

I swallow hard rubbing my neck, worried as two of my best friends, stand here in my apartment, in shock from seeing each other. "Danny is here!" I say awkwardly excited, with my hands up. I shoot Ben a glare and pinch him in the arm. "I told you not to bring Danny!" I whisper angrily. "Sorry!" he clutches his arm as I let go.

"Tucker is here too, thank you, Riley." Tucker says with attitude as he walks into the kitchen to Hailey. "Dobbs. Tucker Dobbs." he puts his hand out, smiling.  Hailey, finally breaks her gaze from Danny. "Hi, nice to meet you." she says as Danny walks away from the door towards Ben and I.