Chapter 9

I sat there counting the seconds as I let the tears roll of my cheeks. I heard each one splash into the tub as I remembered all of the tears of others I had caused to shed. The grief of a family losing their beloved. The pain in their eyes when I slit their throat. And the blood my hands have spilled. Nothing can clean this blood off of my hands. I can't believe the pain I had caused. And all because of that stupid contract.

I pulled out my knife and looked at how the steel danced in the light. The simple dagger I keep in my boot at all times, the only thing I have left of my mother. She had used it for so many things. Cooking, gardening, whittling, and to protect the ones she loved. She had used this a few times against men who broke into our house, my hands were not the first in the family to cause blood to flow. And yet, I owe a greater debt to the demon below then any other person who has held this knife. If I took my own life with it... would that make things right?

I raised it to my neck right under my ear. I had done this slice many a time, one quick jerk and I would be dead. I held it there with the point piercing my skin, blood slowly oozing out. I could end this pain, end that rotten contract with one simple motion.... but I couldn't. I lowered the knife away and rubbed where I had inflicted pain upon myself. I was losing my sanity, for that I was certain. But I knew that my life here on earth was not over. Even though I am filled with darkness, with not even a wisp of light. I am nothing but a demon now.... and that is what I always will be....

That's when I started hearing yelling. I decided my stay in the bathroom was over. I quickly stood up and climbed over the edge of the tub and walked to the sink. I then quickly splashed myself with ice cold water to hide the tears, and I unlocked the door.

I slowly made my way downstairs, but I stopped about midway to listen to what they were talking about.

"She isn't fit to be the leader Gunner. I believe I am the best candidate." Richard stated cooley, as if he weren't throwing Dominique and I under the bus.

"Now why should it be you!?!?" Yelled Dominique.

"Angel has better control of her temper then you both. That is why I think she should be the leader." Gunner replied with clenched teeth.

"Really?.. Then can you explain what happened back in the barn." I couldn't help but cringe at the way Richard said that.

"All of the feelings she has been holding back since she was eight. So about seven years of emotions." Gunner replied smoothly.

"And how would you know that?" Dominique growled out.

"She and I joined at the same time, we trained together. And she never once cried or complained.... except in her sleep." Gunner stated as if it were a fact everyone knew.

"Your favoring her!" Richard accused yelling at him.

"What makes you think that?" he growled out.

"How about how you two were students together, which means that you know her, which means you don't care about whether or not she really is suited for the position." Dominique snarled.

"Well if she didn't know me, you would of killed me, which would of made it so you wouldn't be leader for certain. Plus when you went to attack me, who was it that reacted, and who stayed frozen in place?" gunner sneered out.

Before the guys could do or say anything else I ran down the rest of the stairs and stared at all of them. "I don't know what hurts worse, my injuries or you guys throwing me under the bus." I said through grinded teeth. Which got their attention.

"Angel, we aren't..." Richard started to say but I shook my head in a way to stop him.

"Don't try and vouch for yourselves, I get that y'all want to be a leader, but I don't think that arguing will help Gunner choose." I stated looking at him.

"And what would you suggest?" Gunner inquired.

"Whichever one of us gets the target and brings him here first becomes leader." I stated, standing up straighter.

"Wouldn't that be unfair given your injuries." he asked looking at my leg, which has soiled bandages around it.

"If i'm a good enough leader, I can find my way around it."

"Very well." he sighed out and went and plopped on the couch. "Here are my rules, you all start out with the basic information about him, and you cannot have help from any other assassin to get him. You must do it on your own. Understood?" He asked.

We all nodded.

"Ok, so what is the basic information about him?"

Rachel then piped in. "His name is Johnathon Grayson, he is 6'00", 18 years old, and apparently captain of the football team at his high school. The high school's mascot is a tiger, and his number is 25." she smiled and sat in the chair.

"Well, looks like you have the information, now, times a wasting." Gunner smirked. I hardly moved before the guys took off to the barn. I couldn't help a chuckle. "Aren't you going?" Gunner asked.

"Rachel may I use your computer?" I asked with a chuckle. When I asked the smirk on Gunners face deepened.