Chapter 24 - Reunited

"Trenton," Rose said over the phone. "Let's go."

He was almost done packing. He just needed to grab his phone charger and his wallet. "I'll be there really soon," he replied. He gathered all of his things and put them into his carry on bag.

"I've been waiting for five minutes at least," Rose complained.

"That isn't that long of a time," Trenton shot back. His icy tone surprised him.

"I've half a mind to leave without you."

"I'll be there soon, Rose," Trenton promised. He hung up before he could hear any more of Rose's complaints.

Trenton looked over his haphazard and hasty packing list, double checking it to make sure he had everything. He and Rosemary were going back to Washington for Thanksgiving break. Rose was going to take care of some vague "business regarding her new project" while Trenton was going to see his mother and his friends...and to get away from McKinleyville. After what had happened with Aria, he was no in the mood to be around anyone from this rotten town. What he really wanted was to head back for Washington, and stay there permanently, but Rosemary wouldn't let him. In the midst of trying to win Aria over, he had forgotten the only reason Rose had taken him here, and that was to convince Aria to rejoin the new Powers Project, which clearly he had not done yet.

His phone rang again, slicing him out of his thoughts. Of course, Rosemary. He did not even bother to pick it up, instead grabbing his things and walking out of the door and down the stairs.

Trenton stepped outside to see Rose sitting in the driver's seat in her sleek car, the window rolled down so she could talk to James, who was leaning against the side of the car. Trenton made a gagging noise just looking at his appearance. "Rosemary!" he called. James turned around to see Trenton, lugging his suitcase and backpack down the driveway.

"Ah, Trenton," she replied, exiting her car to greet him. "So glad you could be with us today."

He did not appreciate her sarcasm. "I'm glad to be here," he replied, matching her tone.

A silence fell over the group. Trenton used it to take his things to Rose's trunk. "Will you open it, please?" Trenton asked. Rose pressed a button on her keys and the trunk popped open. Trenton piled his bags into the tiny space while James and her talked in quick hushed voices. At first, he tried to listen into their thoughts to hear their conversation. For some reason, all of their thoughts were muffled. Not in an Aria kind of static, but more in a bad radio connection kind of way. Trenton then strained his ears as much as possible in an attempt to snoop, but he could only hear snippets: "...bad idea... he'll do something stupid... what if he finds out... don't do it... just watch him..." The usual, it seemed. There was no trust between Trenton and James, was there?

Rose interrupted their conversation by clearing her throat. "I guess it's off to Washington for us," she chirped. "Get in, Trenton."

He did so, purposely avoiding giving a good bye to his father as he climbed into the passenger seat. She started the engine and gave James a warning look that made Trenton's bones chill, even though it was not even directed at him. She rolled out of the driveway staring at James all the while, not breaking her glance until she left the driveway. Trenton's arms were covered in goosebumps.

Rose sped down the residential streets, and went even faster once they hit the regular streets. She entered the freeway and though Trenton did not think her car could go any faster, it did, exceeding speeds of ninety miles an hour.