Chapter 17 - Handcuffs

His palms were sweating as he sat on the couch. His legs were bouncing up and down in a erratic movements. One foot would slam down on the floor followed milliseconds later by his other foot. His hands gripped the couch tightly, staring out the window with attentive eyes. He heard the study door shut upstairs. The clock struck 4:07 and footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. Trenton was scared.

“Son?” came James’ confused voice from down the hall. Trenton’s head swiveled to where the voice had come from.

“Yes?” Trenton croaked out. James took a step in Trenton’s direction, but Trenton’s sudden movement to stand up had James stopping.

“Why are you home?” James awkwardly got out. The tension was thick in the clean air. The open, roomy living room seemed to slowly close up on Trenton as James approached him.

“I...I decided to say goodbye to you. If I’m not going to see you for a while…”

“It’s only five days Trenton,” James spoke up, interrupting Trenton’s attempt at an emotional goodbye. Trenton physically relaxed. Five days was good. Five days was a long time.

“Well, I just didn’t want to have you leave with us on bad terms. I’ve just been through a lot recently so I’m just trying to figure out how to cope with it,” Trenton admitted. James huffed and began his retreat.

“Just remember why you are here. Don’t do something you will regret, Trenton.” The fear returned to Trenton’s body. The front door slammed shut and Trenton fell back onto the couch. He was trembling; he was weak.

James exited the house and he could be seen entering his sleek black sports car from the living room window. Trenton shivered as James sent Trenton one last warning glance before exiting the driveway and leaving, leaving McKinleyville for five days.

Trenton took a couple of more deep breaths before he was calm enough to look down at his phone.

27 messages.

He opened them, all within the group chat that he had made with the Powers Project 2.3 members. The last one stated that they were on their way, saying that they had waited long enough for his reply. He responded saying that his dad was gone and that the coast was clear. The moment he pressed ‘send,’ Ryan’s red mustang pulled into the driveway. Her fiery red hair nearly burnt his eyes as she got out of the car followed by Aria’s gorgeous brown curls. Chance’s roughly styled black hair followed, Elliot Blaze behind him. The four of them made their way up the driveway and towards the front porch. Trenton forced himself off the couch and over to the front entryway. He opened the door before they could knock.

“...most amazing house. I can’t believe…” Ryan abruptly halted her sentence when she saw Trenton. He offered her a grunt and moved out of the way, motioning them to enter his house. The four of them entered, all wearing different shades of black which caused Trenton to smile. They were about to break into his father’s study, but it wasn’t like they were truly breaking and entering. After all, Trenton did live in the house.

“Where is it?” Aria spoke up. She was the last one to enter, looking the most haunted as she entered the house. Obviously Trenton wasn’t the only one who was suffering from a load of nerves.

“Right this way,” Trenton replied. He swiveled around and began to walk down the hallway. Everyone followed behind him like a puppy following their mother. Trenton almost laughed at the simile he had made up in his head, but his nerves got the best of him. Trenton admitted it to himself only mere seconds ago, but that didn’t change it one bit: Trenton was afraid of his dad. He was scared pantless that he would find them and possibly take them all out. This fear that was built up inside Trenton was surfacing and eating away at him the closer he got to the locked study.