Chapter 7

“Yes you can, who said you couldn’t?” James asked. His face held concern for me.

“I-I don’t des-deserve to be, to be your friend. I-I’m ugly and… I’m a n-nobody,” I cried, remembering back to what my father had said about why I didn’t have friends.

“No! You aren’t! Stop it!” James told me, desperately trying to get me to listen. “Kiara, listen to me. You are amazing. You are such a beautiful girl and we’ve had so much fun hanging with you tonight. What happened?!”

“B-Beau, he… He p-probably hates me. I-I made a mistake. I-I’m not g-good enough for him, or any of y-you!” I blubbered. “I just met you… I’m so stupid!” I shouted. I could feel Beau’s eyes on me.

“Ever heard of love at first sight?” James questioned.

“It doesn’t exist,” I said coldly. I didn’t believe that. I then thought back again to the scene on the couch where the boys caught Beau and I staring deeply into each other’s eyes.

“Beau can’t like me. I’m too young, and… He deserves someone better. I’ve known him for less that a day,” I explained, wiping my eyes.

“Age doesn’t matter! It’s just a number! Kiara, I already consider you my little sister even though I’ve only known you for not even a day. Who says Beau doesn’t feel the same in a sense,” James tried to explain.

“I don’t think one kiss is going to change anything.”

“Go back to the love at first sight thing. Love doesn‘t always start with a kiss,” James told me. His face was completely serious. I looked over to Daniel, Jai and Luke who were talking to Beau. I watched as Beau’s face looked over at me. I met his gaze but turned away when the rest of the boys looked over to me. Luke’s face held concern and Beau‘s expression mirrored Luke‘s.

“C’mon, we’re taking you back to the Brooks’ house and you’re going to have a bath.”

A bath. That would help me loosen up.

James carried me all the way to Beau, Luke and Jai’s house. We were surprised to see Gina, Beau, Luke and Jai’s mom, warming something up in the microwave as we entered.

“Hello James,” she greeted with a warm smile.

“Hello Gina.”

“Where are the other boys?” she wondered.

“They’ll be here in a couple of seconds. Do you mind if I run Kiara a hot bath?” he asked her politely. Gina looked surprised and shifted her gaze from James to me.

“Hi hun. Are you okay?” she asked me, concern lining her tone as she took in my condition. I probably looked like crap because I sure felt like it.

“I’ll go get you some pajamas. Is a night gown okay? It’s all I have,” she told me in an apologetic tone.

“Yeah, that’s fine. Thank you,” I croaked.

James led me to the bathroom before the boys came in. He added some bubble bath and some bath salts to the running water.

“James.”

“Yeah?”

“I’d be honoured to be your sister,” I told him sincerely. I started to tear up again. James smiled and wiped a tear from my eye with his thumb.

“I’d be honoured to be your brother Kiara. Do you want me to talk to Beau?” he asked me.

“No!” practically shouted, then calmed down a little. “I think he’s been through enough crap from the other boys in the last couple minutes… I don’t want…” I sighed. “I don’t want him to constantly be bothered,” I said. James nodded in understanding.