Seventeen

Two Months Later...

It was now September of 1981 and the fall air was beginning to settle in London, though some days were still hot. My wounds were almost completely healed, just scars remained, and everything had been perfect since the incident, as I've grown to call it happened.

With James and Stella now living with us, Paul and I had adjusted to life as parents, though I still wouldn't call myself that. I would say I was more of a nanny than anything else, but I wouldn't dare tell Paul that.

We were currently in the backyard playing with James and Stella. Upon their arrival, Paul had a swing set placed in the yard for them to play on. I could see the love Paul had in his eyes for his children and I only wished that one day I might have a child that I could look at that way.

All of a sudden, James came running up to me.

"Ametist!" He never could say my name quite right, but he was only four so I wasn't going to bother with correcting him.

"Yes, James?"

"Come play with us!"

James used what little strength he had to tug me off of the blanket I had been sitting on. I acted like he was the one who pulled me up, causing a look of surprise to form on his face.

"James! You're so strong!"

We ran over to where Paul was pushing Stella on the swings and James climbed in the one beside her.

"Push me, Ametist?" James asked sweetly.

"What's the magic word, James?" Paul asked.

"Please, Ametist? Pretty please?"

"Of course, James."

There Paul and I stood, side by side, pushing these children on their swings. I would have never imagined that a job as a temporary secretary would turn out as such. From this job, I had gained a new love, a new home, a new family.

"Look at us." Paul said. It was as if he could read straight through my mind.

"I can't believe it."

"Did you ever expect this?"

"Not in a million years, honestly."

"Me neither, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. A beautiful woman beside me, my children in front of me, what else could I want?"

"You're too sweet, Paul."

He leaned over and placed a kiss on my lips, then returned to pushing Stella and I returned to pushing James.

After a while, Paul decided it was time for all of us to go inside and have dinner. Paul scooped up James into his arms and Stella chose to walk beside me.

She tapped my arm to gain my attention.

"Yes, Stella?"

"I'm glad daddy chose you."

"What do you mean, dear?" I asked her.

"I'm glad you and daddy are happy together. He really likes you, I can tell."

"You can tell? Well, aren't you just smart."

"He's so happy when you are around. I don't think you should ever leave."

"I'm glad you think that, Stella. I wasn't planning on leaving."

"Good." She ran off to catch up with Paul, who led our little parade into the kitchen.