H u n t e r - e q u a t i o n

"What do you mean it just happened?" I asked her, pacing the floor back and forth.

"I wanted to tell you but you were too busy."

"No."

"Yes, Hunter. I saw you with her, and if I wasn't wrong, then the elders were her parents."

"You never asked me to explain."

"You never told me if I wasn't enough."

"You are more than enough."

"It doesn't show."

"When did it happen?"

"I knew the day after Valentine's Day."

I breathed, a long, content breathe, filling in my empty lungs. Her words kept repeating themselves in my mind, not fading away.

A new memory in my life.

It didn't make me smile though, and I didn't cry of happiness. I didn't do anything I thought I would have done. She wasn't smiling when she informed me. She didn't hug me. I didn't kiss her. She just spoke, and I only listened.

Like it wasn't anything important.

Like it wasn't life-changing.

I am pregnant, Hunter. The words repeat over and over in my mind. She was pregnant. She's a mother. I am a father.

We're having a baby. Our baby.

And yet it didn't make me smile.

I don't know why. Maybe because I wasn't  with her when she knew. Maybe because I was with another woman. Maybe because she was afraid to tell. Scared from my reaction. Like I would ever reject that. Like I would ever reject our sum.

It's like a mathematical equation: me and her equals him or her. So simple. So loving. So much better.

"You told your mom?" I asked.

"No."

"Did you tell anyone?"

"Yes."

"Who?"

"William."