Reapings: District Two

Margo Mead’s POV:

I pull the covers off from over my head and slowly crawl from my bed. I rub the sleep from my eyes and let out a powerful yawn.

‘’ Morning.’’ I smile to my little brother, staring at me from his bed.

He doesn’t respond, he simple gazes ahead, his eyes fixed on a random spot of the wall.

‘’ What’s wrong?’’ I ask.

‘’ Nervous.’’ He replies after a few moments.

‘’ Come on Jango. They’re not gonna pick you.’’ I grin. ‘’ It’s your first year, your name is in there once...Plus, someone always volunteers. You’ll be fine.’’

‘’ But what if this year is different? What if nobody wants to go in?’’ He questions anxiously.

I smile. ‘’ It won’t happen. Ever. Especially during a Quarter Quell.  God, you must be the only person to ever live in District Two that doesn’t dream of being in the Hunger Games.’’

‘’ I just don’t understand why anyone would want to be in it.’’ He says.

‘’ I guess everyone just wants the fame. You become known nationwide for your strength, wit or bravery.’’ I explain.

‘’ Well why do you want to enter?’’ Jango questions.

‘’ Well because we need the money.’’ I explain simply. ‘’ We may not live in District Twelve, but life isn’t easy for us. You’re still too young to understand, but one day you will.’’

‘’ I guess.’’ He says simply and lays back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

‘’ I’ll call you when breakfast is ready.’’ I say and head down the stairs.

I head straight into the kitchen, put on the kettle and turn on the frying pan – pouring a generous amount of olive oil into the pan. I then head back down the hall and open the door of my mother’s bedroom, peaking my head in silently.

‘’ Morning honey.’’ Smiles my mother weakly, then she succumbs to a fit of vicious coughing. When she finally stops, I speak to her.

‘’ Morning. Just to remind you that today’s the day of the Reaping. I’ve arranged it with Alex to take care of you and Jango while I’m gone. He and Lidia will be over at least twice a day. I promise I will win it for you and him.’’ I vow.

‘’ Oh your father would be so proud of you Margo.’’ Smiles my mother. ‘’ Do us proud.’’

‘’ I will mother.’’ I promise, kissing her gently on the forehead. ‘’ I will win and then we can finally get you that Capitol medication.’’

‘’ I love you Margo, I don’t tell you that enough. You are the best son I could have ever asked for. I know you’ll come back to me alive.’’ She smiles and again coughs violently into her handkerchief.

‘’ I love you too. I’ll have breakfast ready soon.’’ I say and head back towards the kitchen, gently shutting the door as I exit.

Just as I enter the kitchen, the kettle boils. The noise of the pan sizzling also indicates that it is ready to be used. I toss in three large sausages into the pan and begin frying them. I then grab three small cups and place a sachet of herbal green tea into each followed by a small drop of milk.

A few minutes later, the sausages have cooked and I toss them onto small plates. I then grab the day old loaf of bread from the cupboard and slice up three generous helpings. I place all the food on the tray and carry it down the hall to my mother’s room. I first give my mother her tea and sausage sandwich and then I run up stairs to fetch Jango.