Reapings: District Four

Caspian Reef’s POV:

‘’ Wow.’’ I gasp, my jaw hanging low as I stare at Lilly in her pink floral dress as she stands in the doorway of the Mayor’s house – her house.

She giggles.

‘’ You look...great.’’ I continue, admiring in flowing red locks and her bright green eyes. ‘’ Happy birthday by the way.’’

‘’ Thanks.’’ She giggles again, and makes her way towards me down her garden as I stand at her gate. ‘’ You’re looking well in that suit as well.’’

‘’ Thanks.’’ I grin and kiss her tenderly on the lips for a moment.

I then grasp her soft hands in mine and lead her from the house and down the road. The sun beats down on us from above in a cloudless blue sky yet the gentle breeze makes the heat bearable.

‘’ Where are we going?’’ Asks Lilly curiously.

‘’ You’ll see.’’ I grin in response – sensing her impatience.

I lead her down through the town where everyone is busy preparing for the Reapings which will take place in just two hours and I take Lilly towards the ocean. The beach is reasonably quiet apart from a few fishermen standing at the end of the pier out to catch a few to sell on later in the day.

I take her down onto the sand and remove my shoes and socks. She slips off her flats and we take a seat on the sand and stare out at the sea for a few minutes.

‘’ Wait here.’’ I order and I get to my feet and leave her for a few moments.

I run over to a large clump of the marrow grass that stretches the length of the beach and pull out a small picnic basket I had stowed away earlier this morning. I take a quick peak inside to make sure no animals have got at it and then I hear Lilly’s voice.

‘‘ What are you doing back there?’’ She calls.

‘’ Be patient.’’ I laugh. ‘’ And close your eyes!’’

As she does this, I grab the basket and head back over to her. I then quickly remove a small picnic blanket from the basket and lay it out in front of Lilly. Then I remove the basket’s contents out; two large double chocolate chip caramel muffins, a small container of lemonade, two glasses, a small candle and a box of matches.

‘’ Can I look yet?’’ Begs Lilly.

‘’ One second.’’ I laugh and quickly shove the half burnt-out candle into the muffin and light it.

‘’ Now?’’ She insists.

‘’ Now.’’ I smile, holding the muffin in front of her.

As she opens her eyelids and spots the muffin in my hand, her mouth breaks into a huge white smile and her eyes twinkle.

‘’ Happy birthday Lil’.’’ I grin and peck her on the cheek.

‘’ Oh Caspian! This is why I love you.’’ Laughs Lilly, placing the cupcake gently down onto the picnic blanket and kissing me passionately on the lips.

Afterwards, I pick up the muffin and hold it up to her – the candle still alight.

‘’ Close your eyes and make a wish.’’ I instruct and she shuts her eyes slowly.

She then blows out the candle and smiles at me, her perfect white teeth glistening in the sunshine.

‘’ What did you wish for?’’ I ask.

‘’ I can’t tell you that.’’ She laughs.

‘’ Ah go on. You can trust me.’’

‘’ It’s not that I don’t trust you. I just want it to come true.’’ She explains.