Reapings: District Three

Osmo Overton’s POV:

‘’ Osmo would you ever put that book down and get ready for the Reaping! We cannot be late!’’ Begs my mother irritably.

‘’ One second mother, I’m almost done this chapter.’’ I plead.

‘’ Now Osmo. There’s only an hour until it starts! This is madness.’’ She continues.

‘’ What’s the point anyway?’’ I question.

‘’ It’s the law. All children eligible for Reaping must attend.’’ Explains my mother in the voice of our Mayor and then we both grin.

‘’ You know what I meant. It’s my fourth year being eligible for the Games, I worked out the calculations last night, my chances of being picked are one in three thousand seven hundred and ninety two point sixty six recurring.’’ I explain.

‘’ What?’’ Asks my mother, then laughs slightly.

‘’ My chances of being picked are as miniscule as the sympathy the Capitol have towards us.’’ I repeat, rephrasing my words and using the Capitol’s mercilessness to symbolise what I am talking about.

‘’ You’re a little genius Osmo. You know that right?’’ Smiles my mother proudly, kissing me on the forehead. ‘’ Go get ready!’’

She takes the book from my hand and reads the cover silently to herself, then cocks an eyebrow in incomprehension.

‘’ It’s a paperback manuscript depicting the rebellion and it then goes on to describe the tragic economic consequences that the rebellion had on the people of Panem, especially the subordinate Districts like Eleven or Twelve.’’ I explain and she pats me on the head.

‘’ Where did we get you from at all?’’ She questions with a slight smile.

I dash upstairs and quickly wash myself in a bucket of lukewarm water my mother has left out for me. I then dry myself off and step into the clothes she has lain out for me on the bed I share with my two younger brothers – neither old enough to be eligible for Reaping.

I then fix my brown hair in the mirror to a style that I am happy with and descend back into the tiny living room where my mother and two brother’s are waiting for me.

‘’ You look lovely Osmo.’’ She smiles.

Before I can respond, there is a gently rap on the front door – a seven beat knock that indicates that Echo has arrived with some food.

‘’ Morning.’’ I smile as she enters in her hunting gear with a backpack slung over her shoulders.

‘’ Sorry I’m late. There were loads more Peacekeepers around the boundary today for the Reaping. I had to go the long way around.’’ She explains.

‘’ You should be careful Echo, it’s not that we don’t appreciate your deeds for us, but you have to make sure you’re not caught out there or the Capitol will take you away.’’ Chides my mother.

‘’ Yeah, yeah. Sorry Mrs Overton.’’ She says half apologetically.

‘’ For the last time Echo, call me June! You’ve known me long enough to be still addressing me by Mrs.’’ Scolds my mother playfully.

‘’ Yes mam.’’ Replies Echo, standing at attention and raising her right hand to her forehead.

‘’ Now then deary, what have you got for us?’’ Smiles my mother.

‘’ I was really lucky today. Caught about ten rabbits and a few squirrels too. The forest was crawling with them!’’ Explains Echo. ‘’ Here, have two of each.’’