The Arena: Day Five

Bliss Dixon’s POV:

I wake to screams, although they are not from any of my companions. The screams seem to be coming from everywhere yet nowhere in particular at the same time. Unfortunately, I recognise the screams immediately, they belong to loved ones.

I hear my mother’s voice first, her screams as she begs for mercy as my father throttles her with rolling pin as my sister and I simply stand there screaming at him to stop.

I glance at the others; they too are staring wide eyed around them. I’m not the only one at can hear it.

‘’ What is that?’’ I gasp.

‘’ My father.’’ Replies Echo in a trancelike stare.

‘’ The sirens.’’ Mutters Osmo, clamping his hands over his ears and beginning to roar.

The noises continue, although I don’t hear what the others claim to have heard. I cover my hands over my ears, the voices change to my sister. It’s the night before the Reaping, the night my sister was murdered.

‘’ Please Bliss! Do something! Save me!’’ Screams my sister’s voice.

‘’ STOP IT!’’ I roar, falling to my knees and clamp my hands over my ears like Osmo.

‘’ It’s the Capitol, they’re trying to mess with our heads...’’ Mutters Gauze as he winces, he’s obviously just heard something as painful as I have.

‘’ Bliss! He’s going to kill me! Stop him!’’ Continues the piercing voice of my sister.

 I feel tears well up in the corners of my eyes.

‘’ Bliss! Do something! Don’t just stand there!’’

Why are they doing this? Are Alistair and Arianna hearing this too? What’s the point on mentally demolishing the final tributes? This will help no one.

‘’ There!’’ Gasps Echo, pointing to a clump of trees a few meters away. ‘’ The jabberjays.’’

‘’ They repeat sounds...’’ Says Gauze in a whisper and shudders. ‘’ That means what we are hearing actually happened.’’

‘’ No.’’ I say. ‘’ The Capitol must have drugged us because it doesn’t make sense that we’re all hearing different things.’’

‘’ Good point.’’ Replies Echo whilst wincing from whatever she just heard. ‘’ I didn’t think of that.’’

‘’ Bliss! He’s killing me! He’s killing me like he killed mom. Like he’s going to kill you!’’ Screams my sisters voice and I feel tears trickling down my face.

‘’ Also, I’m hearing the voice of my sister...But she’s dead. And she’d never, ever say any of that stuff.’’ I add over the cries, desperately trying to drown them out with any other noise possible.

‘’ Do something Bliss!’’ Roars the voice of my sister once again.

Gauze loads up his crossbow, and Echo mimics him – understanding what must be done. The two approach the trees where the demonic birds are nestled, aim and fire. The first two go down, and the volume of the screams decreases.

I count twelve at the start, however twelve quickly become ten. Eight becomes four. Two become none.

As the final two are finally silenced, I curl up in a ball on the ground and begin to sob, clutching myself pathetically in some attempt of defending myself against whatever the Capitol are going to throw at us next. Gauze approaches me cautiously and places his hand on my shoulder.