Opening Ceremonies: Interviews - Part Four

Piper Papillon’s POV:

‘’ Hello Panem and welcome back to our final instalment of the tribute interviews! Please give it up for our final six tributes, the tributes from Districts Ten, Eleven and Twelve!’’ I scream as the six teenagers make their way across the stage.

The crowd cheer loudly and chant the names of their favourite tributes as they toss flowers. Unlike the earlier interview with the careers, none of the tributes bow or blow kisses to the crowd – they simply take their seats.

‘’ OK then tributes! I have lots of questions for you, so I will begin with Pious Carrington. The first question for you is, what was your opinion of the way your District’s escort chose the male tribute?’’

‘’ I thought it was ridiculous, that poor child didn’t deserve that trauma.’’ He begins. ‘’ It was horrible to have him up there like that.’’

‘’ Well if the escort hadn’t played that game, the first name drawn would have had to enter the arena, and that would have been David.’’ I explain.

‘’ Dalton.’’ He corrects. ‘’ Well he ended up being shot onstage anyway so he died anyway.’’

‘’ Well aren’t you glad you were voted in? If not, that would have been you shot dead.’’ I question.

‘’ Well sometimes I think that being shot dad then and there would have been better than this, it would have been quicker.’’ He says. ‘’ What happened to our escort anyway, was he put to death killing that poor boy?’’

‘’ Well no, however he won’t be the escort anywhere again because-‘’ I begin but he cuts me off.

‘’ Whatever. I don’t want to hear it. Parents were murdered at this year’s Reapings for crying and screaming when their children’s names were called out, yet an escort forced the District to vote for who they wanted to send to their deaths...out of two children!?’’

‘’ I understand-‘’ I begin, but I am interrupted again.

‘’ You don’t understand though, that’s the thing. You don’t know what it’s like for us, you’ve probably never even been to a District. You don’t know how hard life is.’’ He says, angry at first but as he continues, his anger turns to sadness.

‘’ Let’s change subject, who would you like to be paired with, if you had the choice?’’ I ask.

‘’ I don’t know, someone that can fight, but someone that’s not cruel.’’ He answers.

‘’ So who wouldn’t you like to be paired with?’’ I question.

‘’ Ravina, Brutis, someone like that.’’ He explains.

‘’ I see. OK then, the next question I have here is for Adaline Trunkette. Tell us Adaline, have you got any experience with weapons? What is your weapon of choice?’’ I ask.

‘’ Well no, not really. But I want to try use a dagger during the training sessions so I can defend myself.’’ She replies.

‘’ What skills have you got that will help you survive?’’ I ask.

‘’ I’m very good at climbing and I’m kinda fast too.’’ She responds.

‘’ So you like climbing trees then?’’ I ask.

‘’ Yeah, but there’s not a lot in District Ten. I do like to climb walls though.’’ She explains.

‘’ I look forward to seeing that in the arena!’’ I say and the crowd cheers.