Prologue

8 years ago:

"Come on Riley!" My mother yelled at me as she grabbed my hand and dragged me out of my room and down the stairs.

"Where are we going?" I whined. "Barbie and Ken had just fallen in love! " I exclaimed referring back to my barbie dolls that I was just playing with.

"I know honey." My mother says as she helps me put my coat on. "But there's a new family that just moved next door and we need to make them feel welcome. I've heard that they have children around your age Riley."

"Why can't Emily go!?"

"Because your sister is at Stephanie's house for a sleepover." She says. "Now come on."

She grabbed me by the hand and leads me out the door. It takes a while to actually there because I'm doing everything humanly possible to not go but unfortunately we eventually get there.

"Now remember be polite ok?" My mother reminds me before she knocks on the door. A few seconds later the door opens to reveal a tall lady. I looked up at her and she looked quite nice and welcoming and that made me feel a bit better.

"Yes?" The lady asks my mom.

"Hello, I'm Sarah and this is my daughter Riley." She says. The lady looks at me and smiles. "We live next door so we just thought that we'd say hello and welcome you here to our little town."

"Well thank you." The lady replies. "Come on in." She says while ushering us into her home. My mother goes in and I'm following closely behind her.

"Kids!" She yells upstairs. "Come down here please!" I hear the sounds of footsteps upstairs and then they come running downstairs. A boy who looks a little older than me comes down the not long after a girl comes as well.

"I'm Deborah ." The lady tells us. "And these are my two children, James and Chloe." The girl looks at me and waves slightly but I hide behind my mom.

"Why don't you come into the living room for a cup of tea?" The lady asks my mother to which she agrees. "Why don't you go and take Riley upstairs to your room Chloe." She says.

The girl comes towards me and holds out her hand. I look up at my mom and she gives me a slight nod and smile indicating for me to go. I cautiously take the girls hand and she leads me upstairs.

"Do you like Barbie dolls?" She asks me.

"Yeah." I quietly reply.

"Good." She says. She take me into her room and hands me a doll.

"Wanna play?" She asks.

"Ok." So there we sat, playing together for hours on end and that's how it all began..