1. Manik Malhotra and Nandini Murthy

~ Do not always believe the smiles, search for the tears. The mornings are usually happy, the nights know the truth~

With the support of the foot rest of the king size circular bed covered in a shiny white sheet, sat a figure engulfed in darkness. And to be true, no one could tell if this darkness was just in the room or deep inside his soul too. The study lamp kept on the bedside table very faintly illuminated the room, sufficient enough for him to write in the dairy he was holding close to his heart. Outside it was raining, cool breezes making noises through the window panes that were shutting and opening again and again, breaking the errie silence in the room. Unaware of the storm outside or too busy dealing with the one inside, the figure was busy in his scribblings not even realizing that the letters were fading as he kept writing, the credit to those salty drops that kept falling over the pages.

A knock brought him out of the reverie and he wiped the misty eyes keeping the diary on the table. An elderly man peeked in with a faint smile.
" Manik Baba, your dinner!", He smiled and entered placing in front of him a lavish plate filled with his once favourite Rajma-chawal.
Manik stood up and took the plate from him.
"How many times do I need to remind you kaka, not to wait for me with dinner? You have your medicines and sleep. I will have it", he chided him with love while the elderly servant, kaka as he was known as, who was more close to him than his own father, nodded like every night and Manik knew that next night too, his dear kaka will come with his food, no matter how many times he says him not to.

Once kaka left, Manik sighed as he looked at the plate full of food. As much as the exhausting day he had spent made his stomach crave for food, the sight of it made him feel nauseatic. Unable to bear it, he kept the plate aside and sank to the floor, where lay the diary with the incomplete entry for the day. He finished the entry and wiped the eyes again, like always and kept it safely in his drawer. Popping in a pill from the bed side tray, he welcomed a dreamless sleep, much needed for him to go through his routine. And that was how, a man known for his smiles, slept off without caring for anything in the world!

The Malhotra Industries was waiting for the arrival of their honourable CEO- Mr Manik Malhotra. It was their daily routine to wait for him before commencing their works. The horn blew and the gate keeper ran in the direction to welcome him.

"Good morning kaka", a happy voice greeted the old man followed by a heartwarming smile.

"Good morning baba", the old man greeted him back with an enthusiastic nod.

The CEO entered the office and everyone stood up. He smiled and wished aloud.

" Good morning everyone. Hope u all are as excited about the day as I am. Wish all of u a smiling day", Manik's voice boosted all of their energies and
the whole staff greeted him back.

"yes sir", the echo of their voices magnified his zeal.

And with that he went into his cabin. This was his daily routine, he had been following this from five years now. His cordial behaviour and always smiling face was the reason all the employees, be it the old gatekeeper or his PA or all others, loved and respected their boss. This was also the reason they all worked hard enough and their company was one of the best business brand in today's competitive world. All of them wanted the best and gave their best including their boss. They were in short a happy working together family.

Inside the cabin Manik sat down on his chair silently praising himself for keeping his promise to himself. His eyes told his misery, the pain he had been hiding from everyone all these years, the pain that only these walls around him had witnessed every moment and the pain he had been successfully hiding behind his dazzling smile. Just then his cabin door opened and his PA entered with his coffee. After placing the coffee on the table he politely informed him about his urgent resignation. Manik was surprised to hear about the sudden resignation. Over this period of 5 years he had bonded with him and treated him like his brother. So he asked him the reason for this sudden departure. His PA, Rohan, told him he was getting married the next week and he was to join the business of his would be father in law so that he could stay with his wife and his parents. It had been a long time he had been staying away from them and he wanted to return. Hearing his reason Manik smiled, his usual, charming smile. He wished Rohan all the luck and promised to be a part of his wedding celebration. Before leaving Rohan informed him that he has arranged a new PA for him and she would be joining tomorrow. Manik knew rohan would have selected the best so he just smiled and assured him that he was okay with that. Rohan left and the day went with him engrossed in his work.

It was 7 in the evening. Almost all of the employees had wrapped up their work and gone back home. The old gatekeeper came in to check up on Manik. Seeing him waiting Manik smiled and wrapped up his files, picked up his car keys and went out after checking everyone else has left. Sitting In his car he closed his eyes for a moment and sighed. Then he drove back home, like every other day.

Far from Manik's world, a girl was standing acroos her balcony gazing at the moon. She was thinking about how her life is going to change. Nandini Murthy had come to Mumbai a few days ago from her hometown Kasauli, as her job offer was accepted here. She was to join as a PA of a renowned business company, The Malhotra Industries.
Coming from a middle class family she was a down to earth person. Back home among her friends she was known as the sensitive corner of their group.Too emotional and a very caring person, some of her friends had even nicknamed her as 'Maa' for her extra caring nature. She hated the name but it didnt matter to her friends. They loved teasing her. Nandini had a height of 5'2" , a slender figure and a preety face. Although she never considered that she could also be beautiful, she was indeed. A cute CHASMISH she was, loved to read and sometimes write. Nandini had some good friends with whom she could share everything. They were Mukti, Alya and Kabir.

Dhruv had been working here in Mumbai for about a year now. Mukti and Alya were in Delhi, studying fashion designing. Nandini on the other hand had completed her MBA and had applied for job in various companies. And considering her impressing resume she had got her dream job very soon.

Apart from everything, even at the age of 24, she never had even a single relationship. As a young girl she had loved reading love stories and fanfiction and even today she did that, but in her heart she felt that this so called love will never be in her life. She always thought she would never be able to cherish this phase in her life. Although she never told anyone, but she had secretly wished to be someone's special love, to be able to cry on someone's shoulder, to snuggle up to someone and forget all her worries, to experience the fairy tale love, to be hugged by someone and have a kiss on her forehead. Or in other words, she was a hopeless romantic by heart. But all these were her secret dreams anyone else did not have any idea about. All her life she had been the sensible person, always into studies and a little silent one. But actually she was the total opposite. She loved crazyness, shouting and gossiping and everything people could never imagine she would do.

But it is not necessary the person you know is the real person he or she is. Her crazy side only had a few witnesses, people she felt comfortable with.

Now standing across her balcony she was preety excited about her first day tomorrow. She hoped everything would go fine and normal. Praying to her Aiyaapa, she welcomed a dreamy sleep and hoped for a good day at work.