26. Meeting 'Her' again!

~A mother's place is sacred, no one can ever replace her~

" Mrs Malhotra?", Nandini called again but the lady stood rooted to the spot. Nandini could see the slight shake of her shoulders, until a few more minutes, which was when she paused and turned.

" I am sorry but I guess you are mistaken. Who are you searching for, come again?", The lady questioned with a shaky voice.

" I am searching for Mrs Malhotra, Mrs Veebha Malhotra. Mother of Manik and Nidhi Malhotra and the lady whose pictures are all over the Malhotra mansion!", Nandini answered very softly, taking a few steps closer to her until she stood just in front of her.

"I have lost the right to be their mother, a long while back!", Veebha murmured with hidden guilt peeking through her ever expressive eyes.

Like mother like son!

"You can never losse your position as their mother, aunty! Your house is still waiting for you!", Nandini placed a hand over her shoulder and Veebha's eyes shot up at her statement.

"Really?", the hope in her voice was heart melting as well as heart wrenching.

"Really aunty!", she tried to assure her as much as she could. Finally a smile appeared on her lips, a genuine one. Nandini could not hold herself back and let out a small chuckle.

" Today, meeting you helped me understand why is Manik the way he is? A mature kid!", Nandini laughed out loud, making Veebha giggle too.

"You know Manik? How is he? Is he still the chubby kid? Does he miss me? He would be hating me na? How is Nidhi? Is she married?", Veebha bomarded Nandini with questions, making her realize that she was not aware of Nidhi's demise, yet.

"Why don't you ask all these questions yourself, face to face?", She smiled a little at Veebha, whose face dropped at that.

"By the way, who are you? Are you Manik's friend or my would be daughter-in-law?", Veebha asked, and Nandini immediately lowered her eyes, blushing. She could not answer and her face was enough of an answer for veebha. She just hugged her tight, as happy tears made their way down.

"I am content with my son's choice!", Veebha kissed Nandini's forehead, clading her wrist with a bangle she was wearing herself.

"Come home Aunty! Manik will be happy to see you!", Nandini slowly pestered, and Veebha exhaled.

"His dad?", Veebha stopped as she didn't know how to ask Nandini and if she knew about them.

"He stays in London aunty. Manik stays here, handling the business", Nandini assured her, and Veebha nodded, agreeing to visit them the next day, for she had to wrap a few things first.

---------

A little after, Nandini took her leave from Veebha and drove off to the mansion as it was already late afternoon. Entering the mansion, she found an unusual silence. The thought of something bad engulfed her heart and she ran to Manik's room only for a sight that struck her breaths in her throat.

Manik was lying on the bed with Kabir sitting on his bed side. She looked closer to find Manik asleep, and she raised her eyebrows at Kabir, who gave her a small smile.

"He is fine, Nandini. Just mild fever!", Kabir shrugged, and Nandini was surprised, because he was all well in the morning. Confusion was etched all over her face.

"Your boyfriend is overtly sensitive Nandu, nothing to worry. Stress has this kind of effect on him. He will be all good by morning!", Kabir tried to pacify her when he saw her eyes getting misty.