Chapter Eleven

The morning after Yamato and I had our heart-to-heart conversation at the baseball field, we were eating breakfast while watching the news on TV.

            “This morning at 6 AM,” the anchor was saying, “a woman walking to work in the Tokyo Minato district was attacked from behind by an unknown man. Her bag, which had contained some money, was stolen,”

            “That’s awful,” Yamato shook his head in disgust.

            “And it’s close to here, too,”

According to the news, there were several incidents similar to that and they were all occurring in the Minato district. The police were searching for the man, but they were asking for the public’s help.

            “How scary is it that he comes up to you from behind,” I put my hands on the sides of my face, “if I was coming home from shopping, both my hands would be full, too,”

            “I think you’d be fine,” he shrugged.

            “What?”

            “I’m sure thieves like that pick their victims. He wouldn’t want to approach someone who’d fight back,”

            “Fight back?” I gave him a funny look, “What if he hugged me from behind?”

He laughed loudly before he turned back to me.

            “Hug you?” he wiped a tear from his eye, “who would want to hug… you…”

He trailed off and both of us were silent. Remembering last night and what had happened, I could almost feel his arms around me and his head against my chest. We didn’t talk much on the way home, considering that we were both pretty embarrassed. I figured things would be back to normal in the morning, but I guess…

Looking at Yamato, it looked like he had remembered too and blushed a little.

            “I should get going, I have a meeting this morning,”

            “Can I go with you part of the way?” I spoke up, “There’s something I need to ask you about,”

            “Are you going out today?” he picked up his bag.

            “I need to go to city hall to submit my address change and some other paperwork,” I walked into the bedroom for a moment and grabbed my shoulder bag.

            “City hall is two stations away so I’ll walk you to the station,” he smiled.

            “Ok,” I smiled as we put on our shoes. This was the first time he had ever offered to walk me somewhere.

We were quiet for most of the walk. It wasn’t until we were halfway there when I realized something.

            “If you stop by the station, wouldn’t you be taking the long route?”

            “It’s still early so I’m ok,” he shrugged with a smile, “what if you get lost and the police call me to come get you?”

            “You make me sound like a child,” I pouted.

Just then, we saw a little boy chasing after a ball who was just about to run into the street.

            “Look out!” I yelled as I lunged for the boy.

Yamato grabbed the boy’s shoulder as I grabbed his arm to stop him. A second later, a car sped down the road in front of us. As I looked at it, I thought about what could have happened if Yamato and I hadn’t stopped him.