Servant, Friend, or Love? Ch 4

Chapter 4

I put the enchanted necklace on, easily slipping into invisibility. I waited for the Lord of Vanaheim to ride through the gates on his horse. Once he was in, I squeezed though the gap between the gates just before they closed. I carefully walked through the halls, careful to be dead silent.

When I reached the hall for the room of treasures, I found two measly guards, one on each side of the door. I smirked and shook my head. I pulled out a potion I got from a...friend that would have then sleep standing up for an hour or so. Plenty of time to sneak in and out.

I took the necklace off once I was sure no one would see. I was dressed in a servants garment and I put a ring on that hid any blemishes. I pulled out a tray and two glasses from the bag then poured the clear potion into the glasses and took it to the guards.

"I was sent here to refresh the guards watching over this room." Their eyes looked tired and they thanked me. They drank every last drop of the potion and set the glasses back down on the tray before they went into their standing sleep. I smiled and put the things back in my bag, including the ring. Once I had the necklace on, I tried to open the locked door. I rolled my eyes. Waste of time.

It took me all of two precious minutes to enter the room. I filled the bag with gold and jewels. I just finished filling everything when I heard jingling behind me. I gulped hard, wondering if someone knew I was there.

"Neve Minasdotter." I stopped breathing. They knew it was me. I was careful to turn silently so I could see who it was. Before me was a woman with light red hair. She was older and held herself well. The top potion of her hair was styled to be poofy at the side then put into a bun in the back. The lower portion rolled down her back gracefully.

"Queen Frigga." I muttered unwarranted. I gasped and put a hand to my mouth. Silently, I moved my position.

"I have been talking to Lady Freya." she told me. "She told that there was a thief running amuck. She believed your previous targets were practice for coming here. I decided to see for myself." She gave a breathy chuckled. "That was cruel of you to put a potion on those poor, unknowing guards."

"Cruel is watching a girl with no parents face life all alone as these caring rulers have. I tried coming to them for help but they looked down at me as a worthless commoner."

She sighed. "They did what they thought was best."

"I WAS BARELY THE HEIGHT OF THE YGARSH TREE!" Her eyes wandered to my direction. Though she couldn't see, I made a motion with my hand just below my chest to show to approximate height. "I didn't know anything on life! I found out quickly, though, that if the shop keepers weren't looking, I got food for the day free of charge."

"You know, I'm the only one who knows that you are here." Her eyes showed a care I hadn't since my mother's passing. "If you put the items back, we could work out a life for you in Asgard." She stepped closer and I stepped back. The clashing of metal from where I'd stepped showed her I was further away, so she stopped. "You could start a new life. A clean start. I would be sure that you didn't have to steal your food or money."

"Yes, in the dungeons."

She gave me a small smile. "No, dear. I would make sure your life was well. Please." Cautiously, I removed my necklace. She gasped at the sight of me. I had cuts and bruises all over me.

"Can you also ensure my safety?"

She quickly walked over and grabbed my arms, inspecting the damage. "What have you gotten into?"

"I give them the gold and jewels and they give me a lifetime of food and shelter plus the means to get the job done. If I don't get the treasures to them then...they'll do all it takes to find me and these scrapes and bruises will seem like nothing. They already do..." I thought over the different things they did to me.