Chapter 2

"What is it?" I ask, trying to keep my voice firm. But my mind thinks about Mary, and Alfie, and Tyler. I automatically think of the worst.

"We've lost contact with one of our Kofali allies." Cole explains. "The problem with that is we think he's been captured by outsiders. The main ship knows about it and is planning on sending out reinforcements."

"Wait, so this guy was basically doing what you and Kira do?" Rebecca asks.

"Yes, to me he was an ally, but to the other Kofali he was just a soldier reporting on rebel activity."

"Any idea on what outsiders took him?" Patrick speaks up.

"No," Kira answers.

"Then how do you know he's really in trouble?" He continues. "We can't exactly risk sending a bunch of our people out there on speculation alone."

"Our tablets are how we communicate with one another. We check in with our daily reports sometime before midnight. He hasn't checked in for 3 days." Cole says.

"Maybe the battery died," Leah makes her statement sound like a question.

"They're solar powered." Cole's voice begins to sound agitated at our hesitation. "And we're still able to digitally locate its location. It hasn't moved in 3 days either, which leads me to believe he needs help."

"So you want us to go help you find this idiot?" Damien bites back.

"Yes, because if he's not found in the next 4 days they'll send out troops. Troops that won't hesitate to capture or kill everyone in this camp if they find this place."

"But we don't have any idea where he is! And if somebody has him, we don't know what they're capable of. Are you two planning on coming with us?" Damien asks.

"I can point out where the tablet it...he can't be too far from there. And we still have things to do on the main ship. We need to be there." Kira answers.

"So it's a death mission," He gives a dry laugh. "Are any of you aliens capable of not seeing humans as fodder? Or pawns in your little game or whatever?"

"I'm tired of that, too," Leah glares at Kira. "But it's either find their guy or risk an alien army coming down on us and there's no way we could stop them from wiping us all out."

"She's right," Patrick agrees. "It's mercy that we're still living out here, that's what it is. We've been able to live here because they allow it."

"So I'm definitely going," Leah declares.

"I'll go, too." I say immediately, still eager for any excuse to leave this place.

"Me too," Brianna agrees. Damien quickly shakes his head.

"No, you can't. You're too valuable." He tells her.

"I'd have to agree with the boy," Katherine says. "You're the Kofali's biggest target."

"So wouldn't it be better if I was on the move, away from this camp?" Instantly, I know Brianna wants out of this place too.

"No, too many people are looking to you." Cole's voice has finality to it. "If you die, my people will be eager to broadcast it everywhere and a lot of people in the Reserves will want to give up."