Chapter One: The Vow

"You need to keep going pal." Calvin whispered to him.

"No! I need to stay with you all! You're my family! I don't want to lose my family again!" Devin cried.

"Devin, you're the little brother I have always wanted." Jared's eyes filled with tears. "I'm so glad I got to have you as one."

"NOO!"

Devin sat straight up, beads of sweat rolled down his face; his breathing was ragged and all over the place. His vision was blurred with tears so he had no idea where he was. He reached out with his left hand and commanded his sword to be by his side. After what just happened, Devin was prepared for the worst.

"I see ya have finally woke up," An overly familiar voice said. Devin slowly turned his head to the right to see none other than Messa. "Everyone was so sure ya was never goin' to."

"What's going on?" Devin asked in a quiet voice.

"First, you're in Seamus's chambers so yer safe. Second, I think yer the one who has to explain that. One minute a pair of students was sparring in the courtyard and the next you show up. None of the students could so much as touch ya. Every time one tried, lightning shot out of ya back. Seamus sent a student to fetch me and here we are." Messa then looked at Devin for his turn.

"I, they," Devin just couldn't keep himself together. "Is there something on my back?" The thought popped into his head after he heard about the lightning.

"You mean that weird seal?" Messa went to pull up his shirt but Devin jerked away.

"So it was real..." Devin then broke down crying. He cried and Messa just sat there and let him. His throat grew sore and the tears stopped falling after about fifteen minutes. "Messa, they're gone." He said very quietly. "Nadia, Mari, Jared, Calvin, they're gone." He then told her everything that happened to them in the desert. He told her about Kyree, about the Temple of Creation, what they found, and how they were betrayed. He just spoke very quietly and didn't stop until his story had completed.

"Boy, you just get some rest. I'll give ol'Seamus a generalization of what ya done just told me. I know that you being what ya are is supposed to be secret and all." With that Messa got up and left Devin. Devin just continued to stare ahead of him, his mind swirled with a thousand different thoughts. All of which included a way to find his family. Well, except for the few that tried to figure out Devin was going to kill Kyree. The very thought of him caused Devin's blood to boil and the hate he felt for Kyree was not the type to simply go away. No, it was the type of hate that festers and grew and became something ugly. The type of hate that no one lets go of, willingly or not. He found his scarf folded neatly by his pillow and wrapped it around his neck. It still smelled of Mari and that caused a few tears to fall.

It wasn't until night had fallen that he was visited by Seamus. Though the two had only been apart for roughly two months but he looked older by years. His orange hair had thinned and turned on the gray side. He had developed several more wrinkles and his eyes, the man's eyes once had the look of a twenty year old but now reflected his true age. Devin's grip on his sword tightened as Seamus came and sat down next to him.

"I'm sorry Devin. To lose your family in such a way is far too horrible for someone of your age to go through." Seamus offered his condolences. "That trauma is something that stays with you." Devin didn't offer a response. "My offer stands, you're more than welcome to rejoin my dojo." Again, Devin offered no words, but his head snapped in Seamus's direction and it was his eyes that gave the response: No way in hell.