Chapter Ten: Finding Mathis

Alddes stood firm in front of Theron and Sabine. He may just have been one person, but out the three at that very moment, he was the only one thinking straight.

"Four days! He's been gone for four days Alddes!" Theron yelled. "I listened to you yesterday about waiting until today."

"To be fair, I said let's just wait and see," Alddes stopped Theron from walking past him. "And I'll say it again: Let's just wait and see. Devin knows what he's doing."

"That doesn't change the fact that he's my little brother!"

"Or that my cousin is down there," Sabine quietly added.

"If any of us goes down there now, we could blow his cover," Alddes stopped Theron again. "Dude, you're not getting past me."

"Al, you're my best friend so know that when I saw I'm going down there, I'm going down there."

"And know that when I say I'll put an arrow through your leg know that I'll put a freaking arrow through your leg." Both were dead serious.

"Theron," Sabine tugged on his sleeve, "let's come up with a plan first, okay?"

"...Fine." Theron kept his eyes locked on Alddes as he and Sabine backtracked to the campfire. Alddes mouthed 'thank you' to Sabine. While she nodded in response, she didn't feel like she really accomplished anything.

Devin had become a respected figure in the Volunteer Army very quickly. Even when he wasn't training the recruits, he was training the recruits. Devin had even grown to like a few of the people there, which made it a little harder to find Mathis. He'd been asking casually about him for about a day before someone confirmed that Mathis was there.

"Mathis? Yeah I know him," a recruit replied to Devin. The two were sparring with swords. "Why?"

"I saw him the other day swinging a sword around like it was stick and felt sorry for him. I was about to ask if he wanted me to show him a few things, but he suddenly disappeared." Devin lied.

"Hmm, he came here with the intention of being a mage soldier." The recruit lowered his sword. "Bit weird for him to be using a sword."

"I'm a mage and I use a sword, does that make me weird?" Devin challenged.

"No, No of course not sir!" the recruit straightened his back. "Maybe he was practicing after he saw you."

"Could be," Devin sheathed his blade. "Anyway, when you see him, let him know I was looking for him. And ah, let's not mention the sword thing. If others don't already know about it, I doubt he wants it being spread about."

"Yes sir!" the recruit saluted Devin then jogged off for guard duty. Devin slumped to the ground. He looked up in the direction where Theron's campsite was and prayed that Alddes had everything under control.

"What's the worried expression my boy?" Rhys asked.

"When did you get here?" Devin shot up from the ground.

"Just as I asked the question," Rhys laughed.

I've become too comfortable with this environment I need to find Mathis and get out today. Devin chided himself. "I have a half-brother out there who probably thinks I'm dead..." Devin put on the little kid act. "I was just thinking of him."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Rhys rubbed his head. "No wonder you get along with the older boys so well."

"I promised myself that after this war was over I was going to go find him." Devin innocently said.

"And you will. Hell, I'll even help you." Rhys put a firm hand on Devin's shoulder. "You're a good kid Cal."

"Thanks Rhys," Devin gave him a half-hearted smile. "I need to go, I promised some mages I would show them the trick to Flashing and casting at the same time."