Chapter Eight: The Change

Silence.

No one dared to speak. Not even the magic rock. Devin continued to just stare at Alddes, debating on how to deal with what just happened.

He heard everything... Devin thought to himself. Guys, what do I do? Devin shut his eyes and hoped for an answer.

"Wait, this scumbag was actually birthed into the world? He didn't crawl out of the depths of hell?" Britt laughed. Devin snapped his fingers and soon Britt was fast asleep. He felt the pain flare up in his back, but at the moment, that was a low priority.

"Devin, Devin! Who's that? Who's there with you?" Summer shouted. "Magic rock wants to know!"

"Summer, be quiet." Devin stood up and walked straight up to Alddes. He got right in his face and in a whispered voice, "You have no idea what I'm trying to find. Mention one word, just one word of this to those two and all three of you will disappear, never to be heard from again." Alddes didn't doubt the intent in the young boy's voice. He just slowly nodded his head to let Devin know he got it, loud and clear.

"Devin, what is transpiring?" Icarus asked. Devin walked back over to the communication crystal and picked it up.

"I'm about to make a delivery. Be ready to receive." And he shut off the connection. Devin knelt down and picked up Britt. "I'll be back in a few days. Do not follow me. Do not go into any populate areas. Do not get into any fights." And he disappeared.

Alddes's knees buckled and he fell to the ground. He had to dig his nails into his arm to stop his body from shaking so much. The murderous intent Devin had given off froze Alddes. After a few minutes, he was able to regain his composure and went back to Theron and Sabine.

"Alddes? What's wrong?" Sabine walked over to him. "It looks like you just saw a ghost."

"Heh, that wouldn't been a lot less scarier." He whispered. "Nothing, just not sure how to tell Theron that Devin split."

"He did what!?" Theron shot up from the ground.

"He went off to go deliver Britt somewhere. He said he'd be back in a few days and that we're not to do anything stupid while he's gone." Alddes sat cross legged on the ground and grabbed his new bow. As of that moment, it seemed to be incredibly interesting.

"Why didn't you stop him?" Theron asked.

"Dude, your brother is a badass little dude that could rip all of us a new one with just a flick of his wrist. How am I supposed to stop that?"

"He has a point Theron. Besides, if Devin really wanted to disappear, he wouldn't have told Alddes that he was leaving." Sabine mediated.

"Did Devin tell you anything else?" Theron looked down at his friend. Alddes inspected his bow even further.

"Uh, n-no. He didn't tell me anything." Alddes tripped over his words. He was torn, tell his best friend that they aren't trying to find his dad or let him go on clueless. The latter seemed much more appealing since it didn't include them all going away.

"Al," Theron knelt down next to his friend, "are you sure?"

"Trust me The, I'm sure," Alddes couldn't meet Theron's eyes.

"Well, since we're going to be here for a few days, I suppose we should set up camp." Sabine took the initiative. She pulled out a tent and started to set it up. Theron gave his friend one last longing look then started to help.

"Did you tell him anything?" Devin asked after he had come back. He had been gone for three days. As soon as he had come back, he pulled Alddes away from the other two.