Accident

Two weeks.

Two weeks since the accident.
Two weeks since we were torn apart.
Two weeks since I saw my brother for the last time.
I don't know who I am anymore.

We were on our way to a workshop in Houston, and all of a sudden there was a loud crash...then silence.
I felt a ringing in my ears and a painful stab in my chest, a knife digging deep into my heart. We were still in the car, but there was broken glass everywhere on the seats. The driver was still but I sighed in relief when I heard his breathing. I looked over to my right to see if my brother was okay, but he was motionless. His face was pale and his lips were parted, but he was not breathing. My aching heart sank.

"Laurent! Get up!" I yelled as I shook his lifeless body. I realized it was hopeless. I fell over him and began to cry. When I lifted my head I realized there was blood on his jacket. I ripped it open and saw that he had a major wound on his chest. I remembered the pain I had felt and checked mine. No wound to be seen. The pain was slowly going away, but there was an emptiness that fell over me as it left. I felt like someone had ripped me in two. I then began to understand what was going on;
My brother was truly gone.

We had been so close. We knew each other's secrets, we were like one person. We had a true connection, and he was taken from me in a split second. I limped out of the car with fresh tears soaking down my face. I called 911 and tried to explain what had happened, but I didn't feel like I was on earth anymore. I felt disconnected from the world.

My brother is gone.
I didn't believe it for one second.

He isn't coming back.
My mind began to mock me.

"STOP" I screamed. I fell to the ground and heard the sirens of an ambulance.

You'll never see him again.

This time I kept screaming. I felt arms picking me up from the ground and I looked back at the car to see my brother. I stopped screaming and stared at his face for a few seconds. He looked...peaceful, the opposite of what I was feeling. He was pale but he looked like he was full of energy, ready to dance his heart out.

Then his beautiful face was covered with a white cloth, hidden from the ugly world surrounding him. The reality of what had just happened hit me like a rock. I was being carried to an  ambulance, but I couldn't see my brother, my love. I started to scream again. I felt and prick in my neck and it was silent again...