Chapter Thirty-One: Sickness (EDITED)

Ariel's POV

Shane and I were currently watching Grimm, well, let me rephrase that. I was watching Grimm and Shane was playing with my hair. I swear this man loves my hair more than I do. My stomach was full to the point that I didn't think that I'd be able to eat again until Easter...or Christmas.

All of a sudden, a flash of pain erupted through my stomach, causing me to wince in pain as I hugged my stomach. "Ariel, what's wrong?" Shane asked as he started checking me for injuries.

"My st- AHH!" I screamed again as I doubled over, trying to escape the pain.

"Maybe it's all the food you ate," Shane suggested as he started rubbing my shoulders. No matter how much I wanted to believe him, I couldn't. Something was wrong.

All of a sudden, I felt something in my stomach raise up and I quickly jumped off of Shane's lap and into the bathroom and emptied my stomach into the toilet bowl. I felt Shane move my hair and start rubbing soothing circles on my back as everything I'd eaten in the past 24 hours flowed from my mouth. When I was done, I cringed before I flushed the toilet. "I'm sorry," I said as I turned to Shane.

"For what, Ariel?" He asked as he caressed my cheek.

"That," I said motioning toward the toilet. "I guess I ate too much."

"Ariel, you know that I don't think that you ate too much," Shane said lowly.

My heart dropped. "So what are you saying....?"

"Well," He said with a shrug. "Last night... and the cramps and the morning sickness..." He trailed off, but he didn't need to finish.

"Y-You think I could be pregnant?" I said as my hand went to my stomach as I looked at it. For humans, it usually took a while before they found out they were pregnant, but since wolf babies grow faster, we know sooner and the symptoms are worse.

He put his hand on the back of his neck and shrugged. "I mean, I'm not a doctor, but it's worth thinking about. Do you wanna go to Alexandria?"

I quickly shook my head. "Not until I know," I said with a shaky breath.

He nodded before his eyes glazed over for a few seconds. "Jess is on her way to the pharmacy to get the test. Meanwhile, just sit down and relax. You have nothing to worry about, because even if you are pregnant, you'll be an amazing mother."

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks." I whispered. I never thought the first time I'd see Jess again would be under these circumstances. I ran back into the bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth before I returned. As soon as I got back out, Shane pulled me into a hug and gently kissed my forehead before he started rocking me back and forth. Soon, Jess came with the test. She handed it to me with a smile before hugging me then sat on the couch with Shane.

I gave them a small smile before I went into the bathroom. Here goes nothing.

*****
Shane's POV

Jess and I sat on the couch waiting for my mate to return. My heart was hammering against my rib cage and my leg couldn't stay still.

"Hey," Jessica gently said as she placed a hand on my shoulder. "Everything's gonna be fine."

"But what if it's not?" I questioned as I ran a hand through my hair. "What if there are complications? What if I'm a terrible father like my own? What if- "

"You'll be a great father and nothing will happen to your pup, maybe even pups," she said. "And you'll never be like your father," she added and I nodded, relaxing a bit.