Hero

There were so many thoughts running through my mind as I lay there shivering in paining. It was so cold. Or at least it felt like my body was going cold. I heard the wood cracking harshly next to my head which drew my attention towards the threatening sound.  The weird creature gurgled next to me inches away from my face and I screamed as it grabbed me by the throat, it's scale like hands twisting themselves around my flesh. With about as much effort as a toddler lifting a block, the senile creature slowly lifted me off the ground until my feet dangled uselessly in the air. I must've resembled that of a lifeless ragdoll. My Vampire agreed softy, her peculiar sense of humor when it came to my sufferings not deadened by the gravity of our situation. I hated to admit it but if the circumstances hadn't been so dire, I would've chuckled at the mental image my Vampire so vividly painted of  me too.

Adrian chose that moment to burst through the door and he froze  at the sight before him. I felt more ashamed than anything that he had to see me looking so pitiful and helpless. I had never seen such a look of utter and instant torture adorn his masculine features. His eyes mirrored the pain I felt coursing through my body as I struggled to keep my eyes open long enough to gaze at him. That beautiful face of his that had snared my heart from the very beginning. I could see all the love we both shared for each other plain as day swimming in his eyes. Tears. Adrian's eyes were full of sorrowful tears. The image struck me more than his stoic attitude just mere minutes before.

His face changed in that moment as my eyes slanted on his and pure rage illuminated from his entire being. It was almost tangible it was so thick in the air. The creature holding me chuckled at the immense feeling nervously before letting out a low, sound whistle. It sounded like it was calling for something or at the very least a signal. At that moment, I practically heard the rumbling of something approaching. And it was strong and massive. What the hell had this creature alerted? I thought alarmed as I started struggling against its cold, slimy hand still pressed taunt against my throat.

"No!" Adrian yelled in deep despair, taking a  wild lunge at the creature. The creature saw him coming and flung me to a different side of the room as he was tackled soon after by Adrian. Two loud snaps resounded throughout the room, followed by the sound of the wall being broken into. So three loud bangs and then silence. One was the sound of my body hitting the side of the metal desk positioned on the far side of the room under yet another stained glass window. The wall was broken into by Adrian and the creatures landing. But the last sounds were....or could only be described as sickening. It was the sound of flesh being ripped apart and bones snapping. The sounds made my stomach cringed as I rolled over on my side to get a better look at what had just happened. Blackness lined my vision as I tried to focus on something...anything. My injuries were fatal, I could feel it as my eyes drifted close without my permission.

No longer could I hear the foul creature's gurgling, just Adrian's heavy, heavy breathing. Those breaths weren't just coming from his lungs. I could practically hear the torment and torture in his soul as he took deep breaths of air. Those breaths gave me something to focus on and I opened my eyes with great difficulty as darkness threatened to take me over. My breathing was getting harder to maintain on the other hand but I managed to pull in short breaths at a time. Finally, my eyes were able to connect with Adrian's for what felt eerily like the last time. He was kneeling, covered in a dark thick liquid. Blood. I couldn't tell if he had sustained any injuries. His hair was out of its usual style with half of it slicked down with blood slowly trickling down his face. He looked like a fallen angel after a battle and it had only just begun. The rumbling was getting closer. I could feel the energy vibrating off the tattered walls.

"Gabriella." He breathed my name and it was like it was the only thing he could say. No matter how many words his soul carried or the conversation swimming in his eyes all that passed his lips was my single name. Spoken like it was a forbidden word that should never be uttered. There was no stopping whatever was coming for us and Adrian looked more heartbroken then like he was prepared for a fight. Like a giant beast with great power but broken from the inside.