Chapter 2

We were both quiet for a minute before he finally spoke up.

"I had a sister named Skylar..she was only six, she got killed by one of those things."

I replied

"Screamers."

He gave me a weird look, and said,

"What?"

I kept a straight face and replied,

"I call them Screamers."

He went along with it, even though I was clearly avoiding the subject of his sisters death,

"That seems like an appropriate name."

He said. Then it was quiet again.

He told me his sister died, I figured it'd be right to tell him something about my family. Maybe then we would know enough about each other, and be done here.

"My mother got the disease about two years ago, and turned into one of them. She killed my dad without a second thought."

He coughed. Probably because he didnt know what to say. Then he asked,

"What were you doing back there? Past that cave the whole areas infected with Screamers. You must know that. No one would want to be there unless they had a death wish."

He exclaimed. I sighed, I knew he would ask eventually. But I didn't trust this guy enough, not yet.

"I made a wrong turn, forgot where I was. I was chased by one of them into there, it was tough getting out."

I decided that was an okay lie for coming up with it on the spot. He nodded, but I could tell he wasn't completely convinced.

About time to change the subject, I decided.

"It's getting dark out."

I noted, glancing up at the sky. I was expecting him to tell me it was time for him to go now, but he caught me by surprise.

"Yeah, we should find somewhere to stay for the night"

Wait, what?

"We?"

I repeated, with a questioning look. He nodded,

"I can't leave you here alone, what are you, like 15?"

He tries to joke.

"Almost 17."

I grumble, before agreeing, too tired to argue. He laughs and mutters something about being 17.

"Where do you suggest we sleep?"

I asked glancing around in doubt.

"Well.."

He said, thinking it over.

"I know somewhere nearby."

He answered, grabbing my arm and pulling me away. We were walking for a while through some thin, old looking trees before finally we stopped in front of a pile of trees. I gave him a look,

"Is this a joke? Because I'm not laughing."

He smiled and pulled away some branches and leaves before revealing a little cave. Oh.

"They're never smart enough to find little places like this, and all the trees cover up our smell."

I simply nodded, and he climbed in, with me close behind. It went underground but eventually got tall enough to stand before he said,

"Here's good."

I just laid down on the floor across from him and he did the same.

"Goodnight."

I said, and he just answered with,

"You better not be gone in the morning."

And a small laugh. I was asleep before I could even think about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is Skylar hiding from Dylan about herself? Do you think they'll end up sticking together? Any ideas for things to come? Let me know! I'll probably update later tonight! I'm pretty quick with those, but vote for me, and it'd be good to know if anyone's reading!

- Marisa <3