+6

Next day they called. They said I might be able to see her tomorrow. Might. I didn't know how she could be doing, they didn't say anything beyond that I might be able to see her. Maybe to make me feel better.

And once again, I was walking to the theater. It was the only place I could go really. It was weird, I didn't want to be alone, but I didn't want to talk to anyone. And even though that was the very thing my mom had been upset about, I couldn't help it. If all it took was a mix of sounds to see something else...

As I walked through the theater, the seats empty as they usually were at this time of day except for the director sitting about midway back in the seating area, as on stage they acted out the rehearsal of a scene, something sounding Shakespearean, and judging from the guy walking around with a donkey head, I'd guess it was a Midsummer Night's Dream.

I walked right through, going back to the sound room. If I remembered correctly, I'd left all my stuff in there, music sheets, can of soda, a bag of chips, who knows what else.

But as soon as I entered the room, I noticed everything was missing. The sound equipment was all how I'd left it, everything else exactly how I remember it. But nothing of mine was anywhere to be seen. And it wasn't like the sound room was terribly crowded, everything in the room was in plain sight, my stuff just wasn't in here.

I spent a bit of time looking around, under things,  behind things, then I gave up and went to ask the Director. By that time, the actors rehearsing were taking a break, coming off the stage, either leaving the building or just sitting in the seats fiddling with their phones.

When it seemed the director was the least busy, I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up from what looked like a script, feet propped up on the back of the seat in front of him, peering over his glasses to look at me. "Jihoon..." He started. "You mother... how's she?"

I was hoping he wouldn't ask. But by now everyone knew, so there was no helping it. I shrugged. "I won't really know until tomorrow. But have you seen my music? I left it in the sound mixing room and--."

"Oh! Those..." The director sat for a second thinking. "I thought you asked someone to pick it up, one of the actors walked off with it..."

My eyes widened. "What...?"

---