The Zombie Days Are Over

Two months of unrequired pain, anger, depression and humiliation later, I was still a train wreck. I’ll save you the pain of my non-existent love life by not retelling all the chaos that took place during that time. During that time I had dug myself deeper and deeper into a grave of depression with only one shovel digging me out, Damon. As promised he stuck my side and I was thankful for him every day. If not for him I could only assume my actions would have been vastly different. As for Axel he took every and any chance to show boat his relationship. He even went so far as to announce that Eve was his mate and their future Luna. If only they really knew how big of a lie he was hiding from his loyal pack.

As for my slow and steady revival from the walking dead, things were starting to look up for me. Damon had managed to dig me out of my depression and send me on my way to a new life. A life that didn’t involve Axel. A plan of revenge was not in my books, despite the fact he put me through pain didn’t mean I was as cold hearted as he was. Although a part of me wanted him to suffer through the pain I did, I couldn’t do so because that would mean I was just as corrupt as him.

I sat on the front porch and watched as the exultant teenagers came bounding back from yet another glorious football game. This wasn’t your usual run in the mill high school glory team, but a vast gathering of the most in shape men of Claytonville. Ranging anywhere from fifteen to twenty five, they made up the Claytonville Cougars and every Friday night they made it a mission to defeat the other team. By the look on their faces it was palpable that they defeated the other team.

Axel came strolling out from behind the headlights with Eve clinging onto his side.  I felt a sharp pain form on the left side of my chest, but I did my best to ignore it. Damon followed shortly with a smile plastered on his face that made me want to melt into a puddle. Beads of sweat trailed the length of his face, yet his nasty stench did not seem to bother anyone else but me.

“Dear lord you reek” I tried shooing away his smelly scent as I held my nose. He took a seat on the  chair next to me and just laughed at my actions. “Lana Boo, this” he gestured to himself “is the smell of a champion”. I raised my left eyebrow in protest. “Really?”. He looked at me mirroring my expression. “Really and this champion deserves a prize for his amazing efforts to beat the other time. Preferably a kiss” He puckered out his lips as he leaned in closer and closer to me. My heartbeat began to skyrocket and thumped loudly like a drum. I felt my breath hitch and my body tense in the short span of two seconds. I calmed myself down and played it off cooly. I slapped my hand lightly on his face making him shoot backwards. I laughed at his face expression. “Maybe later” I joked back. He was rubbing his head as if he was in some pain, but I barely laid a hand on him.

“That really hurt” he chimed. “Your ego maybe, but not your face”.  Simultaneously we both broke out into hysterics over our idiotic conversations. Once our laughter faded into the night around us he took my hand in his and rubbed small circles with his thumb on my hand. “I would have done better if my number one cheerleader was there”. Damon and I always clowned around with each other about how we were each other’s cheerleader or encouragement I guess you could say. While Damon played a big part as mine, I couldn’t return the favor. I released an exasperated sigh. “We talked about this before”

He looked at me with his green eyes swimming with sadness. “I know. I’m still trying to break you out of this shell you cocooned yourself in, but it’s a lot harder than I thought” He confessed.  I try a lot for Damon since he has done so much for me, but it’s quite a challenge for me. “Look we can dabble in this conversation all night, but I’d rather not. I don’t want to put a dapper on your mood superstar so why don’t you go get cleaned up and meet me in my room afterwards?”