That's Life

Ziva's POV-

I walk into the bullpen and smell the wonderful scent of jamacian blend coffee mixed with hazelnut. "Morning Gibbs!" I exclaim as I hop out of the elevator. "McGee, Tony." I nod at them. "Well why are you in such a good mood?" McGee asks, looking suspicious. "Wait, forget that McGoo, why was I mentioned last? You said Gibbs, McGee, Tony. I should at least be before McGee!" Tony blurts out. "Tony, you read too much into things. It's like you're a-" I start to say but am cut off by Gibbs hanging up the phone and announcing, "Dead marine. Grab your gear."

"Where are we going boss?" McGee wonders. "Well McGee, WE are going to the park where the marine is. But YOU are going to Abby's lab to help her track our dead guys phone that was missing from his body. Metro is looking for it but I don't trust them. Well? What are you waiting for? GO McGee!" Gibbs exclaims, impatient. I can see that McGee is dissapointed that he doesn't get to come see the body, but he also has a little jump in his step since he gets to go see Abby. I swear, sometimes, it's like they are the only people who can make each other happy. I don't know how Abby doesn't see how in love McGee is with her. Maybe she does see it, just like how I see that Tony is in love with me, but chooses to avoid it, so as not to further complicate things around the workplace. Plus, Abby would die if Gibbs ever got upset with her. It's no secret that she's the favorite, and it's not just because she's the happy-go-lucky one. She is probably the most damaged of anyone on our team, but she chooses to ignore all the bad feelings and just be grateful and blissful. Just as I run into the elevator a siren pierces the air, jolting me out of my thoughts.

"What is that?" I scream over the roaring noise. I suddenly see Gibbs running down the stairwell, leaving me looking to Tony for an explanation. I see the fear in his eyes and know that it can't be good. "That is a siren that has only been activated once before in all of my many years here at NCIS. That siren causes a sense of grief and despair to build up inside of anyone who knows what it means. Last time that siren was activated was before Abby, before McGee, before Palmer, and almost before me. It was my second week at NCIS. It was the day our Forensic Scientist died by lab accident. And guess what Ziva? Abby is the only one who has access to that button. The only one who could possibly push it. And she would only do that if she were really in trouble." Tony answers, a tear slowly sliding down his cheek.

We sprint down the stairs to see the worst sight I have ever seen in my life. My heart drops and I can hardly breathe. There, sitting on the ground with his head in his hands, is Gibbs. He has blood all over his clothes and I see something I have never wanted to see. Leroy Jethro Gibbs is crying. I can't help but think that whatever happened to Abby, whatever it may be, was my fault. I was thinking about what a great person she was just before this, and I never told her. It may have been my subconcious mind. I hear a quiet sob behind me and turn around to see McGee crying his eyes out, looking as if he may collapse. Tony gives him a bear hug and they just stand there like that, like brothers. I turn and look as I hear the sound of a gernie bumping along.

I see Abby lying there, a deep gash in her stomach, what looks like a bullet hole on her right collar bone, and many other injuries, looking as if she's been beaten. Blood is everywhere. "Wh-what are her chances doctor? What are they?!" I desperately scream. "I'm sorry miss, but her chances of survival are aboout 1 in 100." Those are the last words I hear before my head hits the ground and everything goes black.