Three

~Kayla~

I continued to sit on the swing staring at the sky, tears cascading down my face.  After a while, the tears were filling my vision and making everything blurry. What am I going to do? My parents disowned me, Ryan broke up with me, I don't have any real friends anymore. I have no one left.

When the tears finally ended, I rooted through my bag looking for my phone. When I found it, I scrolled through the contacts on my phone looking for someone, anyone who could help. As I was on the verge of completely giving up, I saw the name of the one person that my parents hated. Well, hated isn't the right word. Despised is better. Lucas Harrison.

You see, when I was little, I was a good girl. I followed all the rules, dressed how my mom wanted, and did everything she said. But then, the Harrison family moved into the empty house down the street. My parents didn't have many neighborhood friends, so they instantly went down to talk to them, dragging me along. Being the naive little 7 year old I was, I went over, planning to make friends with the little boy that I had seen when I glanced out the car window as we drove past earlier today. When we went to talk to them, Lucas hid behind his mom's legs yelling that I had cooties. His mom soon talked him into believing that their was no such thing as cooties, and he unhid himself and gave me a big gorgeous smile.

For the next several years, we were inseparable. Either I would go over to his house after school, or he would come to mine and we would play, but when we got older, we hung out in the treehouse in the backyard of our other friend, Reggie's yard. But when he turned twelve, three months before me, they said that they were too old to spend all their time with 'a stupid girl like me'. After that our friendship was broken. Five years went by, and let's just say that Lucas and Reggie got reputations, not good ones.

They became the talk of our town. The three of us eventually reunited as friends and hung out. One night, while goofing off, the police showed up and arrested the three of us for something they had done. My parents had bailed me out and forbade me from ever hanging out with Lucas and Reggie again. For the next few weeks, I had secretly visited them in juvenile detention, telling my parents that I was going to study with friends. One day, my mother followed me and saw that I had been lying to them about what I was doing. That is when she lost the small amount of trust she had in me.

Now I had only one last resort. I clicked Lucas' contact and waited for him to answer.

one ring. two rings. three rings.

"Hello?" a masculine voice answered, Lucas.