Seventeen

~Kayla~

I spent all day yesterday freaking out. The trial is today and I don't know what to do. They are going to want me to choose between my parents, but what if I don't want to stay with either? 

My mom never was nice to me. She always wished that I had been a boy and that I was reserved and not myself. She never liked me. She always had extremely high expectations of me and when I didn't meet those expectations, she would be furious. For my entire life, she told me that I was never good enough for her.

 My dad, on the other hand, was never around long enough for me to form any kind of bond with him. He would always be out in god knows where doing god knows what. When I was younger he would occasionally do something really nice for me. When I was younger, he made a petition to add the swings into the park. I think that that is why I like them so much. They are the one good thing that my father ever did for me in his life. As I got older, he would ignore me entirely and would only talk to me when he needed something. I never felt at home with them and I never want to go back. 

I love living with the Harrison's. They have been nothing but kind to me since my parents kicked me out. I always felt more at home with them than my actual parents. 

I was barely able to sleep last night, so I probably look like crap. I left my hair down and wavy and wore a navy blue dress that ended just above my knees. I had an orange blazer so I put that on and navy blue shoes. 

I took a deep breath and walked down the stairs. Mrs. and Mr. Harrison, Lucas, and Reggie were all waiting for me downstairs. "Sweetie, I know this is going to be hard for you, but know that we will be there to support you." 

"Thank you, Mrs. Harrison. That means a lot."

I turned to Lucas and Reggie. Lucas was looking anywhere but at my face and Reggie was scowling at Lucas. Something must have happened between the two of them yesterday. "Ready?" asked Mr. Harrison. 

I nodded and was ushered out the door.

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

The court for the day was almost over and the entire time I was just trying to think about which parent would be better to live with. Suddenly, an idea hit me. Later today I will have to make my official decision so I will have a little time to put my plan into action.

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

"Hello." I greeted as I entered the room. My parents were seated at two different ends of the table with their lawyers next to them. The judge sat in the very center with a chair facing opposite him. I took a seat in that chair and put on my best fake smile.

"Miss Montgomery, it is now your time to decide which parent you would like to have full custody over you. You may talk with each parent individually before you come to a conclusion.

"Thank you very much, but I don't need to talk to them, sir."

"Have you already decided what you are going to do then?"

"Yes, sir."

"What would you like to do?"

"Well, sir, I do not know if you are aware or not, but earlier this year, I turned eighteen. I am legally an adult now and I believe that I should have the option to live on my own. My parents may think that I am an irresponsible girl who needs someone to look after her, but I am quite the opposite. I am more mature than they give me credit for. My father was never around to see what I do when I'm not causing trouble and my mother never seemed to care if I was doing something good. They did not know that I only did the things that I did to get their attention; to get them to see me and not ignore me. That's all I ever wanted; until now. When they kicked me out, I learned that I don't want their attention. I learned what a real family should be like-from the Harrison's."

I weakly smiled up at the judge, but the tears that had started to spill made it look more like I was grimacing.

"Very well. I hear by declare you emancipated.  Good luck with your life young lady."

I sighed and wiped the tears from my eyes. My plan actually worked. I am free to live how I want with no parents stopping me. 

I left the room without saying goodbye to my parents. Mr. Harrison was waiting for me outside the room. "It worked, Mr. H."

" I knew it would. Let's get you back to the others. They can't wait to see you."

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

Lucas hadn't even looked at me all day yesterday. When I announced my news to them, Mrs. Harrison let out a cheer, Reggie gave me a bear hug, and Lucas just murmured a congradulations. 

I was currently sitting in the kitchen at the Harrison's house, scrolling on my laptop through page after page of apartments, trying to find a good one to live in while eating my breakfast

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lucas enter the room. I didn't say anything, just continued to search on my computer.

"Kayla?" Lucas quietly questioned.  "Can you forgive me?"

I was confused as to what he was talking about, so I asked him what he meant. 

"I've been ignoring you. I shouldn't have been doing that. I'm sorry. I thought that- nothing. It doesn't matter. Will you just forgive me please?"

"Sure," I sighed. I could tell he wanted to tell me something else, but he wasn't sure if he should, so I let it be.

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

~Lucas~ 

After I decided that I couldn't be with her, I talked to Reg about it. He said I was being foolish and that it couldn't possibly be my fault. So a few days later, when he saw that I wasn't looking at Kayla, he got mad at me. 

Then, after the trial, Mrs. Montgomery confronted me. She told me that she was sorry that she had blamed me for all of Kayla's misbehaving. She said that she wished she could go back in time and allow Kayla and me to keep hanging out. She also said that I would be good for her daughter. 

I thought about what she said overnight, and I realized that she was right. I would be good for her daughter. I would be amazing with her. So I vowed that the next day I would tell her how I felt.

Until the next day came and I completely chickened out.

I am such an idiot.