4

Calum

Today was different. He had red hair, the dye partially still smeared on his cheeks due to how indescribably hot it is outside. He's hotter than the weather though, that's something I'm not afraid to admit. Yesterday was strange, he'd usually stop and say something quirky or attempt to flirt with me, but he didn't bother. My sister was getting off of the train and knowing me, I just had to meet her right away. I can't help that our relationship is important to me; I always feel the need to hug her because I could lose her one day when I least expect it and I want to make sure she knows she's everything to me.

"Afternoon, Mali."

"Hey Cal."

She was on her phone this time, not bothering to glance up and make eye contact with me. It had partially destroyed me but the pain only lasted for a second.

"Everything okay?" I pursed, not acknowledging the fact that I didn't get to embrace her today. She's my sister, that's my daily ritual and she sort of put it off for the first time in years.

"My professor wants to meet up at three to discuss important matters apparently. But I can't be here to greet him as I have a meeting with GAD."

GAD is a department not too far from here, its actually one of the best departments in town. It stands for Great Arts Department, and as simple and basic as the name is, the skills they teach you are incredible. Mali recently signed up there to get ahead on her photography layout in order to complete her final portfolio. She even suggested that I join because "my art needs to be seen" but I'm too afraid. People would most likely laugh since I'm not the best at what I do.

"So soon?"

"Mhm. Mind staying here for me? I'll be around ten minutes late and I'm sure you won't mind holding a conversation that long."

"Oh uh," I spoke as I fiddled with my fingers, that was far from the truth but I'd do anything to make my sister happy, "sure."

"Thanks, you're the best."

She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a tight squeeze and I felt happy finally, as that was the hug I had been waiting around all day for. Now to wait for this professor guy, all by myself, without any music to listen to or a journal to draw in.

Great.

He was over there again today, with flamboyant red hair. It made me smile slightly, as he seems to be the only one who stands out in this place. If you look around, everyone wears expensive clothing and has hairstyles that are clearly styled by professionals while he's a work of art and a rainbow of extravagant colors.

"Well don't you just look adorable today."

I glanced up to the boy who was right in front of me, again. I must have been daydreaming since I didn't realize he walked towards me.

"Michael, is it?" I questioned, trying to see how his name sounded at the tip of my tongue. I kind of liked it.

"That's me. And you are?"

I'm not one to tell acquaintances my name, but he was practically begging. I didn't want to give out too much information, since he could stalk me on social media and find out things about me that nobody needs to know. It could drag him away, Calum. Do you really want that?

"Hood."

I cringed when telling him my last name, as he knew that wasn't going to get him anywhere. Sure, it was all a process but I didn't trust him well enough to tell him who I really am. The name may sound oddly familiar to him perhaps and that scares me.

"Is that your actual name?"

He is such a curious person. I'm not sure how I feel about it entirely.

"Part of it," I retorted bluntly, desperately wanting to put an end to this conversation before he finds anything suspicious about me.

"Well I hope I can get to know you soon, Hood."

"Maybe."

-

"How was the meeting?"

We were in the dining room with the rest of the family, Joy being my lovely mother and David, my father who's quite the joker.

"It went well. Oh and you were brought up in the conversation."

I furrowed my eyebrows out of complete bewilderment while my parents had grins on their faces.

They also think my art is spectacular but I just can't believe it. Nothing I do is good enough and it never will be.

"I was?"

"Yeah, Will thinks you would be a great addition to the department," Mali retorted as she picked at the leftover spinach on her plate. Everyone had finished their food while mine was still full. I just wasn't hungry.

"I think I'll pass on the offer, thanks."

Mali had a frown on her face, she was clearly disappointed in me. I just knew I wasn't worthy of being in that department and the truth is, I didn't want to be. I'm perfectly occupied doing nothing with my life while my sister expands hers and does the unpredictable.

"How about music? Thomas has a couple of spaces left in his class and would love to have you be a part of his group," Joy commented, leaning forward as a way to show him that she knew he wanted this but in a non pressuring way.

"They'd be better off without me."

"Calum," David said in sync with Joy, the two looking down in disappointment while Mali just looked sympathetic.

"Would you excuse me? I'm feeling awfully tired all of a sudden. I'll see you all in the morning, love you."

That was a total lie but the voices in my head were kicking in.

I'm such a disappointment to them.

They must hate me.

I crawled under my sheets and decided it'd be best if I just went to bed. There was no way to fight the arguments going on inside of my head and I no longer wanted to be depressing around my family.

I was unable to sleep though, because my mind kept racing over and over. The thoughts traveling from being an anxiety, depressed freak to adoring the boy with red hair, Michael.

He's truly something.

-

1063 words.

I love this chapter but also hate it. Yeah I'm complicated.

Christmas is tomorrow!

Yay! c;