6

Calum

I d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ couldn't tell my family about who Michael was. It seemed like some sort of desperate attempt of mine and they'd immediately try to set me up with him or something. I'm not interested in him like that, though. He's too cocky and thinks the world revolves around him. He may have bright hair that's sort of starting to fall out and the most loving green eyes but its not enough to make me feel something for him. He's different, maybe a good different. I could see us being friends, possibly more in the future but I don't want anything right now. I refuse to get too close to anyone who will just end up leaving me again.

I'm not having another Bryan. It's just not happening.

"I'm starting to worry about you," Mali spoke as she sat across from me in the living room, painting her nails. I could smell the polish all the way from over here, it being strong and scented, smelling like vanilla. I truly loved that scent but I'd never actually admit it.

"Why?" I asked, flipping through the channels on the television. There was nothing on, but its not like it mattered anyway. I have a short attention span for things that don't interest me. It's why I can't ever go to the movies with people or whatever. I'd just get annoyed easily and probably find something better to do.

"You're not acting like yourself. When we went to the restaurant, you asked for a salad."

"So?" I retorted with furrowed eyebrows, not sure where this conversation was going.

"You never order a salad. And you asked to box it too, yet you never ate it. And you didn't eat the other night either."

Fuck, she's catching on to me. I have to do something, anything to take the subject off of me. I hate talking about myself, this topic specifically being one I dislike a lot.

"I ate it when I was in my room, Mali. And I was feeling really sick last night, I swear."

Mali glanced at me for a minute, then nodded slowly as a way to pretend that she was just going to go with it. I didn't really want to talk about myself anymore, so I stood up and decided it'd be best to just go to my room. The one and only place I can lock myself away and just ignore my feelings.

I was almost all the way upstairs until Mali called my name, her moving her right hand as quick as possible to make her nail polish dry faster.

"Will you come with me to the department today?"

Her voice held so much hope. It was almost like she wasn't ready to give up on me, just yet. She wanted me to come with her instead of her friends. That seems quite unusual if you ask me.

"Why?" I replied, sliding my fingers gently across the railing. It was starting to fall apart, the paint being almost completely faded; it starting off as a white and now just being an ugly brown color. I'd like to think it resembles my eyes though, disgusting. The things people refuse to look into, because they're just that hideous.

"Like I said, Will really wants to meet you and thinks you'd be a great addition."

"I don't know," I replied again, slowly feeling myself fall out of the conversation. I've never been the kind of person to enjoy meeting new people. I prefer to have no friends, as I'm pretty content with myself. Well, that's until the voices kick in of course. But I usually distract myself from them whenever I hang out with my sister, so it's fine.

"Please."

I never let people down, I please them. I guess that's one con of being me.

"Fine. I'll go get dressed."

"Thank you so much!"

-

Mali was on her phone again as we made our way towards the train. This would be the first time I'd be getting on it, but at least I wasn't alone. Well, now that I think about it, I basically am.

She's too busy chatting up her boyfriend, who has practically replaced me over the past few months. Mali and I used to hang out a lot, but ever since Eli came into the picture, I've been nothing but a brother. We used to be the best of friends.

"I miss you too, my love."

"Yeah, I'll see you soon, mwah."

Mali hung up the phone, finally and I felt a wave of relief wash over me. It was kind of awkward standing there and watching all of these older men and women stare me down. Talk about making somebody uncomfortable. They do an excellent job at that.

"Hey," Mali whispered, tapping my arm ever so slightly. Okay, not slightly. It kind of hurt, but again, I'm not going to admit that.

"What?" I hissed, just wanting this train ride to be over with. It was bad enough that I had to touch some metal pole with germs all over it. So many people have touched these things. Next thing you know, I'll be laying sick in bed, trying to fight off a cold some random stranger gave me.

"Isn't that the guy from last night?"

I glanced over immediately, shit. It was him.

He was staring down at his cell phone, smiling even. Michael was also sitting next to someone who had long braided hair. Her coiffure was actually bright blue and reminded me of the boy for some reason. Maybe because he seems to dye his hair a lot.

She was pretty, and they were sitting awfully close. Were they dating?

I could see her lips moving and he was just nodding his head, not even bothering to look up at her. Okay, maybe not.

"Calum?" Mali spoke louder, and my head snapped back in her direction. I must've been spacing off again.

"Sorry."

"He's cute. You should go talk to him."

My eyes widened in panic and I lightly pushed her, enough to make her stumble a bit but not enough to make her fall.

"Are you crazy? He's out of my limit."

"Come on, its obvious you have the hots for him. I'll pay you twenty dollars if you go say something."

I furrowed my right eyebrow. She's trying to get me to talk to the cocky bastard who I want nothing to do with. But I somehow found myself easing into it anyway.

"Make it fifty and you've got yourself a deal."

"Sold. Now go."

Now was the perfect time to have regrets, because this was the most ridiculous decision I've ever made in my life.

-

1124 words.

Merry christmas. Hope you all got what you wanted. ̶